Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
denisons

My 620 PTO needs help!

denisons

I bought my 620 new in Nov. 1974. I used to do a limited amount of custom garden plowing/tilling for fellow Church members, friends, & neighbors. I also mowed 2-3 acres for the 1st 25 years until the mower deck was too rusty to continue. I repowered it in 1999 with a 22 HP Kohler Command, before there were repower kits to my knowledge.

Almost two years ago, after extensive use of the Simplicity 48" tiller, apparently one of the bearings seized so suddenly (after I switched the rear PTO off), that when I tried to switch it back on again a few minutes later, it instantly killed the engine "graveyard dead".

Can I replace the short (rear) shaft, it's two bearings & whatever else is necessary, just by removing the seat, top cover, & transaxle cover? Is it likely that I'll have to also replace the long shaft & it's gears & bearings?

I may have availability for used parts nearby. I haven't called Sandy Lake yet.

Thanks for whatever advice anyone can offer.

ShaunE

I needed both bearings & just the "Field Assembly" for the clutch which was available @ Sandy Lake Imp. Part#-16521356

Small Bearing Part # - 176050 (NLA), Fedral Mogul # - X908-CC (Available), NAPA # - 6908VAL (Available).

Large Bearing Part # - 177960 Supersedes to 1663355. Buy it get it home & realize the inside race is wider than the outside race by approx .197".  It is the only difference, but it crates too much of an air gap to engage the clutch when the switch is flipped.  

I removed & disassembled it.  I believe it was the shaft I placed in my lathe & machined the housing approximately .098" to seat the bearing in farther.  It's been so long since I looked inside at it I really cant remember exactly what I machined down.

But it works like a dream.

I hope this helps.

CTD01

Yes you can yank the front shaft with electric clutch, remove the seat, yoke,trans top cover, seal, snap ring, collar and, shaft. In mine I only needed to change the front bearing which is timken number 204pp. You can choose to take one seal off or leave it sealed. I left mine sealed because there isn't a lot of trans fluid getting up there to lube it. The seal number is timken 471733. I will upload pics in a bit. As far as the front shaft with clutch spin it and listen for noise in the bearings.