Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

10hp Briggs won't idle????

Bunky

I have a 3410s with a 10hp Briggs it doesn't want to Idle it runs ok wound up but stalls on idle any ideas? The Throttle shaft is a little worn was thinking this could be part of the problem do they make bushing kit for this????

I'm sure you tried this, but, did you try adjusting the idle adjustment on the carb. sounds like the high speed is adjusted ok, it may just need a little turn on the idle screw.

If turning the idle screw doesn't work, the idle circuit in the carb may be clogged. The next easy approach will involve you geting a spray can of Carb Cleaner (Walmart distributes a very good solvent in its "Tech" product line. Remove the idle screw, taking care not to loose the spring. It is the smaller of two brass screws and is located midway on the carb, the one that is horizontal to the body of the Carb. Use the small red plastic tube,found on the side of the spray can, and insert it into the orfice where the idle screw came from. Spray a fair amount into the carb. Replace the idle needle screw and turn it until it bottoms out. Then back it out about 1 and 1/2 turns. If the idle circuit was gummed up, this might fix your idle problem. If not the next step will be to remove the Carb, disassemble it and clean it completly. If you do this yourself, the only critical thing is to make sure you remove the Main Jet needle out before you try to disassemble the Carb bowl from the top. The needle is about three or four inches long and extends through the bowl upwards into the top of the Carb body. You can do some damage if you try to seperate the bowl from the rest of the carb with the needle still in place. :Last suggestion is to take the Carb off the engine and let a small engine tech clean and rebuild the carb.. If I can be of help, please feel free to e-mail me. I am a retired engineer, who piddles in a Briggs Dealership just to make a little "mad money". I am a certified Briggs Master Service Tech and play with small engines every day.

The throttle shaft could be the major problem with idle. I just finished rebuilding a worn throttle shaft for a 14Hp Kohler. I had an old shaft that wasn't worn and made a bushing for the carb. The worn throttle shaft hole is the most overlooked carb problem on garden tractors. If you have one that pulsated, spedds up and slows down constantly, is will wear out the shaft in no time. There is no bushing, just a hole in the carb that the shaft goes through. Kohler makes a rebuild kit for throttle shafts. I don not know the part number. I bought one several years ago. It comes with a bushing drill bit and throttle shafts to fit most of their carbs. Maybe someone out there has the part number. By the way, the one I just re-did the shaft on idles so smooth you would swear it was a Vanguard and not a one lung Kohler. I did nothing else to the carb other than clean it and fix the leaky shaft. No rebuild kit. If you don't have a problem that you can find, then a rebuild kit does no good. Rod H.