Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Latest Score

Simplicity7013H

Just wanted to update y'all with my latest score. I have a small engines class at school and this kid brought in a Broadmoor that didn't run. Well I helped him get it running and that was that... until the class was done for the year and he still didn't take the machine back home. I made the kid and offer and got it for $140. It had a 16hp Vanguard, 44" deck, and no lights. It was an ok machine and I was just going to flip it. But 10 minutes after getting it home, the engine threw both rods and the one damaged the bore at the bottom. Thankfully, I had a 17.5 HP OHV  Intek that I had taken out of a Crapsman that was headed for the scrapper.  After a bit of work and getting it all adapted, its a good machine! 

iPod 029.jpg

iPod 030.jpg

iPod 027.jpg

iPod 026.jpg

• Like 4

Cool save Elliott. Making the best of a bad situation will get you a long way in life as well.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Chris727 said:

Looks like it went very well, even being able to use the original muffler. 

Yeah I had to fabricate a custom pipe and do some welding on it but being able to use that original muffler is a big plus!

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I bought it to sell to another guy after fixing a few known issues with the steering and now, after doing this swap, I'm half tempted to keep it and use it myself but I have too many machines!!

• Like 2

Good job, Elliot.  At your young age, you already have more talent than I have, and I am 72!  Keep up the good work.  You will go far.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hey nice work. On a side note, why do I see a lot of these with the headlights missing?

8 minutes ago, jimmystractor said:

Hey nice work. On a side note, why do I see a lot of these with the headlights missing?

The housings are plastic and become brittle. They also have a tendency to get run into things. 

A bunch I see missing are a result of the muffler heat melting them. More prevalent on the broadmoor.

Edited by torquedoff