Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

SeaFoam

MARK (LI)

It's on sale at Advance Auto Parts   $6.99 for a 16oz can...usually 11 bucks around here....you have to go to their website...order and pay ..then go pick it up

I never tried it before...I put some in a couple of my tractors oil and ran the engines.....getting them ready to change the oil and get 'em going for the season

Edited by MARK (LI)

2 hours ago, AC716 said:

Autozone had a gallon of seafoam on sale last year for what a regular bottle cost. I jumped on one!

Wow...I would have bout 5 gallons at that price!

I've used it for several years and was pleased with how my machines ran.  I learned on another forum for "OldWing" motorcycles that guys were using ATF for the same thing. I've been using an oz. per gal. and have found that its a cheaper way of accomplishing the same thing. Just passing it on.; your results may vary. Dave

Edited by dhoadley
  • Thanks 1

I've never used sea foam, does it really work?  I've read several articles in which results are usually minimal or no difference. Now this is in cars and trucks. 

21 minutes ago, thmsdoyle said:

My 21 hp Briggs and Stratton likes it. It started getting hard to start so I started giving it seafoam. Two tanks latter it starts right up. I put it in every tank now. Small engine mechanic put me on to it.

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2018 at 5:50 AM, dhoadley said:

I've used it for several years and was pleased with how my machines ran.  I learned on another forum for "OldWing" motorcycles that guys were using ATF for the same thing. I've been using an oz. per gal. and have found that its a cheaper way of accomplishing the same thing. Just passing it on.; your results may vary. Dave

You are using Automatic Transmission Fluid as a gasoline additive?...putting it in the engine oil too?

6 hours ago, MARK (LI) said:

You are using Automatic Transmission Fluid as a gasoline additive?...putting it in the engine oil too?

Not oil, just gas. Older Honda Goldwing motorcycles have problems with old carburetors gumming up from neglect. After laboriously cleaning and adjusting, one wants to prevent having to do THAT again. I've been told (online, so it must be true) that they remain sparkling clean internally with a small amount of ATF with every fill-up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MARK (LI) said:

Atfis super high in detergents . Best hand cleaner in the world. 100 percent non aggressive and removes everything. 

I used to use it years ago with gojo with pumice..it had lanolin or something like that in it, that made skin a little smoother after using harsh cleaners   never heard of it in gasoline though

Old mechanic trick was to slowly pour ATF down the carb while engine running at high idle, to clean out carbon build up. Never heard of using as fuel additive.

Edited by AC716
  • Thanks 1

The trick with the carbs is as the gas evaporates the oil stays behind.  The oil keeps the deposits soft so when fresh gas hits them they redisolve back into the gas.

Ken

• Thanks 1

I've used Marvel Mystery Oil as a gas additive to my 4-cylinder Gold Wing. Keeps the slides working better.

And there is a rumor around that MMO is nothing more than thinned down ATF!

In thing I did find out in chasing carb problems: DO NOT mix Sea Foam and MMO in the same tank. DON'T EVEN use them in consecutive tanks of gas! I had the carbs all cleaned out, added some MMO to the tank that had Seafoam in it, and had more problems! Took them off (no mean feat on a Wing) and apart again. Jets were plugged with black gummy stuff. Cleaned out, back on, ran good for a bit, then back to problems. Repeat above, same black gummy stuff! Cleaned them out, drained the tank, put a gallon of fresh gas in it, drained it, then filled with gas and no problems. Stuck with MMO from there on out.

Yamaha has a product called "Ring Free"  Meant to decarbon rings in two stroke engines.   Using recommended portions of Ring Free and SeaFoam does a pretty darn good job of carb cleaning without removing the carbs.  I personally did this to a four carb bike because the customer did not want to spend the money for a carb removal and cleaning.  Did the treatment, rode the bike and a mile down the road it almost would not run!  Kept it going and the more it ran the better it got.  after about 10 miles it ran and idled pretty good.  Not as good as a traditional cleaning but "good enough" the customer was happy and it saved him about $180!  He took another dose of the Ring Free with him for a second treatment.  Ring Free used to be available in small bottles that would treat 5 gallons of fuel.  I'm not sure if it is still available in the small bottles or not.

Ken