Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Looking for tiller knowledge

Manty

I am going to be looking for a tiller this spring and want to make sure I'm looking for the "right" thing... I have some questions that I'm sure you guys can give me good advice!

1. I have a B112 and a B12 with Hi-Lo, is one better than the other for tilling?

2. Is there a tiller that will work for both?

3. I see a number of tillers advertised over the years - how do I know which will fit & if it is complete?  Mule drive?

Thanks!

See this post for some info that applies:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/59678-tiller-mounting-question/

You want a large frame tiller (36", not a 30" small frame tiller).

The tiller should have a built in clutch since neither of your tractors has a "cone clutch" on the PTO side of the BGB.  (Although a non clutch tiller will work, since it's always rotating, it's not very safe).

You definitely want to have the matching idler pulley setup (as described in the referenced post).

Either tractor can be used.  On a straight gear tractor, a hi/lo will go slower which is better.  I think the B112 is variable speed (like a hydro) and if so, is even better.

• Like 1

Found this tiller online - claims it's a 36" simplicity - complete!  From my limited knowledge, looks like a 32" - maybe missing the belt shield?  He's asking $150 - any help would be appreciated!

IMG952018041095180827211.jpg

IMG952018041095180848556.jpg

IMG95201804109518093811995HDR.jpg

IMG95201804109518050814695HDR.jpg

IMG95201804109518080341195HDR.jpg

Looks like  later model 32 thats only missing the small drive pulley that goes on the bevel gearbox shaft. Fits 1971/72 and older garden tractors. 3300 series and older

• Like 1

Is it worth the asking price? I was actually looking for a 36" for my B112. 

Edited by Manty

3 hours ago, Manty said:

Is it worth the asking price? I was actually looking for a 36" for my B112. 

If its in working order its not a bad price, especially considering some sellers on Ebay have been getting almost that kind of money out of just the drive system in your 4th picture.