Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

snowblower belt

richp

I assume you are talking about driving the blower with a long belt from the center PTO. Some blowers work from the front PTO using a separate clutch.

My blower runs with the long belt from the center PTO. The problem with that is, at least on my tractor, that the idler is not at the right angle.

I had to fabricate a small plate to change which changes the angle of the idler to keep from tearing up belts.

I have found that if the auger hits something hard it may not bend the auger that much so look for signs that it may of hit something but sometimes will bend the idler bracket and or brackets depending on the model. If this happens like Les said the belt will be out of line depending on how bent it or they are. Not only that I have found the bracket on some to be installed backwards and have to be turned over. Plus sometimes the belt guild under the blower housing is not adjusted properly,if that is the case the belt will try to ride up and out of the pulley grove causeing the belt to be misaligned. Make sure that the belt is adjusted to factory spec. as this also is another area sometimes over looked. Best to you just nickles worth can anyone make it more???->jackl<->happyjack<->

The original 7016 used a front engine PTO. You should start by verifing if the particular thrower was made for that tractor.

A guy I work with has A 1977 soverien 16 horse that chews up A belt every storm. He bought new simp. belt and no change.The pulleys also look fine. The sides start to tear first.Any input? thanks,rich p.

Rich, I had trouble with my 712 eating belts. This is powered with the mechanical clutch off the front of the engine. I found that the factory ??? spring put too much tension on the idler pulley. I put a smaller spring that applied much less tension on the belt and it has been running fine for many seasons.
Good Luck. MS

Question. Did Simplicity snowblowers come from the factory running off the center PTO? Or are these blowers owner modified?

They were engine driven up through 1979? with the 7000 series. The next 7100 series was then PTO diven. Some of the older "short hitch" throwers can have the newer "long" stlye hitch installed to work on the PTO box.

What I've seen is the tractors with single cylinder engines drive the blower with the clutch on the front of the engine and the twin cylinder tractors drive the blower from the center PTO????
A neighbor has a 918 with standard hitch (will work on my 712) driven from the center PTO. That belt is about 1/2 mile long.
MS

That is true Mike because twins were part of the newer 7100 series - but it is not a rule - the 7112, 14 and 16 were all singles using the PTO box setup.

I agree with Al the 7000 ser. had a problem with belts because of the double pivoting idler design. When the 7100 ser. came out with that LONG drive belt from the center PTO I thought that was going to be a big mistake,that the belt also would prematurely wear,or be torn up riding over things because it does hang down a bit but to my amazement it's probably about the most trouble free thrower PTO system they ever designed. One thing though,the idler pulley on the hitch must be used to keep that long belt from hopping around. Just my 1 1/2 cents worth. BTW the 1st Landlord was a model 700 and model 700 Wonderboy circa 60's I believe. I hope to get a fellow locally here to put his 700 Wonderboy in the gallery when we finish rebuilding his eng. dlc

Jeff is correct the 7000 series used the fornt of the engine drive. The early 7100 in cluding the 7117 used it. The 7117 uses a different "disc in the front clutch because the crankshaft is larger. IN the mid 80s they changed to the present setup using the mower drive PTO. The 7000 series don't like to drive the snowthrower from this source because both idler pulleys are on a pivot and as soon as the blower gets a load the belt becomes slack due to the idler assy moving forward. The 7100 has the pull side [rear] idler anchored solid and the slack side is the only one with a spring load. My 2 cents worth and that is free. Good luck, AL