Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Check out this humorous thread on Yesteday's Tract

Brent_Baumer

Brent: Thank you! That was great! Now, I'm assuming we're secure enough to laugh at ourselves too, if they can do it at Yesteraday's Tractors, right? So I'll go first. I needed to carry inside the 20 yr. old, but LIKE NEW Lincoln "Buzz Box" welder I'd been using out in the snow, at night. It's like 1am, blowin' snow, I'm cold, I'm tired, and it's on the big, highbed trailer I've got hooked to my quad. I'm not a big guy (5'10/160lbs.), but hey, I can do this. Now, I'm on an island, so I can't afford to get hurt, 'cause no one will find me 'till spring. So I CAREFULLY bungee the back door to the cottage open, back the trailer as close as I can, etc.... Now, all my tools, crates, etc... are filling the sunroom, but I've got this pathway through the tools.... I've got to carry the welder through two more doors to the back bedroom. I leave all three doors open, despite the heatloss, because I'm "bein' careful." So I pick up this welder in a bear hug. Now it's like 2 1/2' high, so it's infront of my face, but hey, all the doors are just so, etc.... Suddenly, I trip, my left foot hits one of my tool-filled milkcrates. The crate doesn't move, I do. I stagger, over onto my right foot, desparately trying to bring my left foot forward, b/c I'm leaning way forward now, bouncing off a table to my right. Now, I'm pickin' up speed at this point, but it's not too late, I can still recover, just gotta get that left foot forward. Everything is in slow motion, just like the guy who watched his glasses fall slowly off of his head, on Yesterday's Tractors. I bring my left foot forward, FINALLY, but no: it SLAMS into THE NEXT "crate o' tools" that I failed to move away from "my path." Now I'm at a wicked forward angle, with this (150 lb?) welder way out in front of me, stumbling forward and BAM! Luckily, I crash at an angle into the open door on my right, still on my feet, but leaning forward like a Vaudville act. But I ricochet off of this open door, bouncing to my left, and fall FULL LENGTH on top of this welder I don't own--I BORROWED it, and hauled it 6 hours away, almost to Canada. Me and my neighbor's welder SLIDE along the floor on our faces, for a long time.... Somehow, no injuries, other than to my pride. A minor scrape on the wrist--no blood! Couldn't even find a mark on the welder! It was many MINUTES before I could believe I didn't break something. I learned that "messy" can get you killed. Peter

I used to have a 120HP Long 4wd tractor with a cab. A bolt in the hinge for the door stop came out alowing the door to open all the way and lay against the back wheel. My dad was using the tractor to plow. He got out to clean the moldboards. He has a habit of leaving doors open. For some reason he decided to back up. As the tractor went backwards he ripped the door right off the cab. Shattered glass was all over the inside. I can blame him, but I knew about that bolt being missing for some time. Guess things should get fixed when they need to be.

Hi, Loved this thread. I could write a book of the dumb things I have done in life. Our insurance man said my brother and I would never live to be 21, [and the odds were in his favor] but my brother was a pall bearer and carried him to the grave. One of our classics was when we were growing up [BDB Before dirt bikes]and the out house was behind the house, we would put a plank on the roof of the outhouse and leap our bikes off of it. My dad went out there and took the plank down and went in, wondering: "What in the hell is that doing there"? Soon my brother came down the drive full speed through the front yard and around the corner of the house. No plank, hit the outhouse killed the bike and nearly killed him. Then dad nearly killed us. LIke I say the odds were for the insurance man winning. Thats how we learned physics with practical experiments. Enough, Al Eden

I was working on something last spring and needed a couple more 2x4's. I knew my dad had some stored in the rafters of his barn. I drove over, nobody home so I helped myself. I got up on the ladder and tilted up a 2x4 and gave it a push. It landed on something tarped over with a huge crash. Their tempered glass patio table bit the dust. Glass was everywhere. I went shopping the next day and bought a new table for $150. My mom put it outside right away. 2 weeks later she left the umbrella up and the wind caught it busting the new one to bits. What a waste of $150. No more outdoor glass tables at their house. About a month later I ran a board with a nail in it through my Dad's table saw. $35 for a new carbide tipped blade like the one I ruined. Dad hates to see me coming over on Saturday afternoons without the kids as he knows I'm there to borrow something. Brent

See link on Yesterdays tractors. Surely none you have done anything like these fellas. Enjoy.[A href='http://ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=farmall&th=311844']http://ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=farmall&th=311844[/a]

Well, I used to think it was cool to stick my left foot between the wheel and the tire on my yoeman. This would make it skid the tire on gravel. Then my dad poored concrete out from our shop. Like an idoit, tried the same thing. Boy did that hurt! After I got my foot unstuck, never did it again. I am just glad I used the left foot, if it would have been the right?