Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Hubnut

B10 what to look for

Hubnut

I found a basket case B10.  I know it's missing the grill and the man told me it has been bored over 10.  He said it should run.  I think the price is fair, but need to know what to look for that could blow my budget.  It has a mower deck with it.  Is this deck correct?  Any advice would be appreciated about what might be missing and such.  Not asking for a value, just what to look for.   

Here's a pic

B10.jpg

• Like 1

fishnwiz

Are you planning to get this back up and running ? Check fuel tank for rust. Tank has good value if clean. Beveled gear box is another high dollar item to fix or replace. CHECK rear axle tubes for stress cracks . Does engine run?

• Like 1

fishnwiz

I believe member Zippo Varga has a few Vids on what to look for when buying an older tractor. Check him out on YouTube. 

• Like 2

EdwardLincoln

Checkout the steering gear that is at the bottom of the steering column. Most of them went many years without grease.

• Like 1

Chris727

Looks like most of it is there. As fishnwiz suggested, the engine and bevel gear box could be costly if major repairs are needed. Its possible that is OK as-is or that seals and bearings will fix it up again. If you need gears they get pricey. Decent used parts shouldn't be very hard to find though.

Edited by Chris727
  • Like 1