Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Simplicity7013H

Sunstar Driveshaft

Simplicity7013H

Hi guys, as some of you may know, I've been working on getting my repainted Sunstar up and going. I finally got the engine running right and on both cylinders but it seems that I have some driveshaft wobble. You can see the driveshaft vibrating but I'm not sure what to do about it. The engine is as far back as it can go but you can still see quite a bit of the splines on the transmission shaft. You can also wiggle the u-joint on the splines. I'm not sure if the drive shaft is too short or if the splines in the drive shaft are just worn out. I had to get this driveshaft on eBay from a DA1918 because the 16hp driveshaft was too long to use with the magnum. I checked the u-joints and the driveshaft and they both looked ok and undamaged. Also, where you see the wobbling is at the flywheel adapter but it is fully seated on the flywheel. Suggestions are appreciated as I don't want to ruin any bearing in the engine or transmission! 

Simplicity7013H

I checked the u-joints for play and there okay. I gave everything a couple shots of grease . I eyeballed the drive shaft and it looked true so I doubt it would be the shaft itself. I'm thinking about switching the spline end of the driveshaft with the one off of the 16hp driveshaft and seeing if there is any difference. 

• Like 1

Simplicity7013H

The engine is fixed and is back as far as it can be to keep aligned with the front PTO pulleys. I'm going to swap out the u-joint and spline connector and see how that goes. 

CTD01

I had a similar issue one I had. What I did was put spacers between the flywheel and drive shaft and used longer bolts. I cant remember how much i went but it put the driveshaft on nice new clean splines. In my opinion it should have been like that from the factory. They did not set the shaft onto the splines deep enough.

• Like 1