Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Stillwaters

mower suggestions

Stillwaters

Hey guys,

We have a 5216H and want to add a few more Simplicities to my sons' small yard business fleet.  Things we are considering are parts availability, ease of repair, and mowing efficiency. Any suggestions?  We are not interested in zero turns yet...too many things to go wrong.  Thanks for your time!

D.H.

fishnwiz

Welcome to the club.  You have posed a difficult question to answer for most of the membership.  IMO it comes down to how much you want to spend, how big is the yard you are using it in as well as what you intend to do with the tractor. There is a lot of personal experiences that goes into recommendations regarding what YOU should buy. 

Most all of the simplicity line is pretty easy to find parts for...that being said, there are certain engines (Triade) or series 1 kt19 engines that can or have proved to be problematic.  There are some who favor manual transmission as opposed to a hydrostatic transmissions.  Again, it comes down to personal needs,wants as well as how much you are looking to spend. 

I am sure our members will give you a wide range of suggestions as to what you should or shouldn't buy.

If I was in your shoes, figure out what you want to spend and then look for the extras (attachments ) you may want if any and go from there. Craigslist is a good place to start your search and you can also get ideas on going prices by looking at completed items on ebay but be advised that prices can and do vary depending on your location. 

When you find a tractor that you may be interested in feel free to tell our membership what it is you are interested in and we will help make you aware of any issues your particular choice may have had in the past.

Also, go to YouTube and watch some videos on buying a used garden tractor or mower as there are great tips and suggestions on some of the videos.

Best of luck.

PS. Don't be afraid of older model tractors as Simplicity over built most of their tractors and as long as they were well maintained, these older models will serve you for years to come.

I have owned several mid 90s Broadmoor tractors in 12 14 and 16 hp models with good luck and excellent mowing/ striping results but that's just me. I also have owned many other Simplicity brand tractors both older and newer that I could go on for days about but it would be information overload. 

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Like 1

MARK (LI)

fishnwiz really laid it out for you......what sizes are these lawns that he is cutting?...a lot of trees and landscaping to go around?...if they are not at least a half acre then a tractor is not really the tool for the job

Stillwaters
18 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

Welcome to the club.  You have posed a difficult question to answer for most of the membership.  IMO it comes down to how much you want to spend, how big is the yard you are using it in as well as what you intend to do with the tractor. There is a lot of personal experiences that goes into recommendations regarding what YOU should buy. 

Most all of the simplicity line is pretty easy to find parts for...that being said, there are certain engines (Triade) or series 1 kt19 engines that can or have proved to be problematic.  There are some who favor manual transmission as opposed to a hydrostatic transmissions.  Again, it comes down to personal needs,wants as well as how much you are looking to spend. 

I am sure our members will give you a wide range of suggestions as to what you should or shouldn't buy.

If I was in your shoes, figure out what you want to spend and then look for the extras (attachments ) you may want if any and go from there. Craigslist is a good place to start your search and you can also get ideas on going prices by looking at completed items on ebay but be advised that prices can and do vary depending on your location. 

When you find a tractor that you may be interested in feel free to tell our membership what it is you are interested in and we will help make you aware of any issues your particular choice may have had in the past.

Also, go to YouTube and watch some videos on buying a used garden tractor or mower as there are great tips and suggestions on some of the videos.

Best of luck.

PS. Don't be afraid of older model tractors as Simplicity over built most of their tractors and as long as they were well maintained, these older models will serve you for years to come.

I have owned several mid 90s Broadmoor tractors in 12 14 and 16 hp models with good luck and excellent mowing/ striping results but that's just me. I also have owned many other Simplicity brand tractors both older and newer that I could go on for days about but it would be information overload. 

Thats a lot of great info!  Thank you.  I do like the look of the older Simplicities.  I grew up where Allis employed quite a few people in my home town in LaPorte, IN building implements.  As a result, I saw a lot of orange and white tractors from the local fan base as a kid.  I was excited about the older Sovereigns paired with a 48" deck.  Thanks again!

Dave

Stillwaters
15 hours ago, MARK (LI) said:

fishnwiz really laid it out for you......what sizes are these lawns that he is cutting?...a lot of trees and landscaping to go around?...if they are not at least a half acre then a tractor is not really the tool for the job

Thanks for the reply Mark!  My sons are working on 1-2 acre lots with moderate amount of hills and some trees.

Dave

• Like 1

MARK (LI)

I think they would be way ahead of the game with Zero turns or Wright Stander   although I love tractors...their versatility makes them 'good" at a lot of things...a zero turn or a Stander is made specifically for mowing grass ...it is their "specialty"...so they are better at it because of that...those standers go across a lawn at least twice as fast as a tractor (check this http://www.wrightmfg.com/products/stander/)

Granted you can find used tractors for a lot less money than a new zero or stander type...if your sons are new to this, they should probably take a look at what their competition is using and try to figure out why...also because of the speed of a zero turn or a stander it is doing the work of 2 tractors in that allotted time...If I were going for it...I would get one of these babies https://www.simplicitymfg.com/na/en_us/products/zero-turn-mowers.html

the only problem is that I would want to try to keep it as nice looking as new, so I would just keep it somewhere dry and just wax it and check the oil and battery every day...they are nice looking

If you look at it you will see that Simplicity has a rebate program right now

Tractors N' Football

A Broadmoor, Landlord, or Sovereign would be my personal suggestion as all are well built and will last.

The Broadmoors came with 38,44, and 50 in decks and manual lift and no assistance with steering. They made the Broadmoors with both hand and foot control. The Broadmoor has the tightest turning out of the three and is also the smallest for tight spaces.

The Landlords came with either a 44, 50, or 54 in deck. They had manual lift, electric lift, or hydraulic lift. They did have a power steering option as well. They were like a larger version of the Broadmoor, and also came with either hand or foot control, although the foot control are a little harder to find. The Landlords also had a locking diff model for wet conditions. The turning is tighter than the Sovereign but not quite as tight as the Broadmoor.

The Sovereigns usually came with a 48 in deck. They were only had controlled and usually had electric or hydraulic lift. They also had a power steering option, although hard to find. The Sovereigns were big and very heavy duty. The turning is not very tight, being the biggest turning radius of the three. 

All of these had many options for attachments. They all had snowblower attachments available and all had some sort of collection system. The Landlord and Sovereigns also had tillers as available attachments.

I love these models from Simplicity's lineup the most.  I have owned all three and really think power steering and hydraulic lift are worth the extra patience and money. 

I hope this helps in your decision.

Depending on your location, I do have a Broadmoor for sale in the Southern MN area.

• Like 1

Stillwaters

This has been really helpful.  Thank you everyone.  I'm still trying to figure out which series tractors goes with which decks (on the reference table).  For instance, if a tractor is down, I can just switch decks to an appropriate running tractor.  I had a Wheel Horse where the 48" deck on my 300 series would fit a whole host of other tractors...pretty sweet.  I heard Simplicities were similar.

MARK (LI)
3 hours ago, Tractors N' Football said:

The Broadmoors came with 38,44, and 50 in decks and manual lift and no assistance with steering. They made the Broadmoors with both hand and foot control. The Broadmoor has the tightest turning out of the three and is also the smallest for tight spaces

I have a Broadmoor myself...it is the best tractor I have ever owned...the new ones actually do have electric cut height selector...I would miss my old crank

• Haha 1