Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3012 (Cecile) Progress and hydraulic seals

Bigkahuna427

I have been poking away at my 3012 AKA Cecile.   Today got the engine running to check the hydraulics.   Still leaking but was much more able to see where the leak is coming from.   The leak is actually coming from the one of the studs on the side of the cylinder.   I was able to tighten that up and it helped a little but still leaking.  

Pulled the cylinder back out again and took it apart.   I was very surprised to see that the threaded hole are not blind holes and they are actually exposed to the fluid.   Seems like an odd design but how do I seal the threads?   If I used something like teflon tape or a dab of silicone I am concerned the potential movement of the stud would be a problem.   

Does anyone have a source for the o-rings to put this back together?

20170515_164137.jpg

IMG_5378.JPG

IMG_5380.JPG

IMG_5377.JPG

Not familiar with the stud you are talking about but I had an elbow pipe fitting on my wood splitter I could not get to stop leaking for everything I tried. Finally cleaned it up real good with solvent and used blue lock tite on it. Let it dry overnight....leak free!!!!

Maybe that would work for you.

Harry

22 hours ago, Bigkahuna427 said:

I have been poking away at my 3012 AKA Cecile.   Today got the engine running to check the hydraulics.   Still leaking but was much more able to see where the leak is coming from.   The leak is actually coming from the one of the studs on the side of the cylinder.   I was able to tighten that up and it helped a little but still leaking.  

Pulled the cylinder back out again and took it apart.   I was very surprised to see that the threaded hole are not blind holes and they are actually exposed to the fluid.   Seems like an odd design but how do I seal the threads?   If I used something like teflon tape or a dab of silicone I am concerned the potential movement of the stud would be a problem.   

Does anyone have a source for the o-rings to put this back together?

I will take a look at one I have on the shelf. I have not had a leak from any of the 3 I have mounted on tractors at that point (that I know of anyway). If I am reading correctly, the fluid is seeping around the stud? 

3 hours ago, gwiseman said:

I will take a look at one I have on the shelf. I have not had a leak from any of the 3 I have mounted on tractors at that point (that I know of anyway). If I am reading correctly, the fluid is seeping around the stud? 

Yes that is correct around the stud.   I have it back together now.    I found some guys that do cylinder repair and they had all the o-rings to rebuild this.   Went pretty quick after that.  The stud was loose and must have been rocking a bit because the hole was elongated.   I just put a little dab of silicone on it.   No leak and no leak down now!   My tiller stayed up all afternoon.    Now just hope the silicone holds.  

• Like 1

More progress photos.   The replacement seat pan is ready and I found some pretty neat looking wingnuts for the hood at less than $10 delivered to my door for 20 of them.   Working on the 32” tiller now and that thing has had some hard mileage.   I am probably going to have to weld on some collars for the tine assemblies. They are pretty loose and causing some not so good wobbling.  

6CE7EB51-D1BE-4B3D-BCA6-65318F25DF19.jpeg

1FDB4EB7-2199-4BF1-88AC-946BBDD1A513.jpeg

8D3A143D-C380-47B0-9403-B71DA26E1DFC.jpeg

ED575B26-0BA5-4055-9390-A4544C1F70E4.jpeg

Edited by Bigkahuna427
  • Like 1