Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Homelite

Brettw

Well, I picked up this little gem today.  Price was right with the starter issue and all.  Figured I could just glue it back on.  That didn't seem to work so good.  So, I looked around and what should I find?  A direct replacement engine I hauled out of storage this past weekend to get ready to sell!   Sometimes, it all falls together...............

Something else when a rod takes out the block AND the starter.  Lot's of energy there.

IMG_3494.JPG

IMG_3495.JPG

IMG_3496.JPG

IMG_3497.JPG

IMG_3498.JPG

Edited by Brettw
  • Like 2

Ha - I have dealt with the aftermath of a repair on a block that looked like that.  Probably 20 - 23 years ago I was brought some pile of an MTD or whatever with a Tecumseh on it.  The guy was complaining that it kept eating the pinion off the starter.  So, pull off the starter, replace the chewed up gear.  When reinstalling the starter, realized it wasn't bolting up square to the flywheel.  Pulled the starter back off to see what was going on and realized the side of the block was all wavy looking.  Scraped off some of the paint and found a whole mess of JB weld holding the pieces of the block back in place.  Asked the guy what had happened - then he told me he blew it up, had taken it to the local tech school and they fixed it.  Yeah, fixed it by throwing a rod in it and gluing the block back together.  They just slobbered it with JB weld.  I took an angle grinder to it to allow the starter to fit how it should and kicked it out of the shop with a big "good luck!"  I have no idea how long it may have lasted - never saw the guy again.  I wish I had pics of it - I was amazed.

• Like 1

Very nice.

Sometimes the tractor gods are good to you and everything comes together perfectly.

And sometimes not so much. :(

So, having just set the engine in the tractor, and never having run it since buying it for 25 bux about 5 years ago.  I had never heard it run, it spun freely and had compression.  I wasn't sure what to expect.  So today I filled it with oil, dumped a bit of fuel in the carburator intake body, and spun it over and see what happens.  It fired right up.  So, I set it on the bench,  cleaned it up, the best of all parts, installed, cleaned the carb, and installed it with a few hold down bolts for now.  Runs like a top, no smoke no funny noises.  I will finish the install and hook up the drive belt, belt stops, etc.  I will run it for a few hours, and change the oil out again.  Needs new tires on the front, but other than that, a very nice tractor, in good to great overall condition.  I also think that 11 horse is a lot of engine for that little tractor.  I think it's a keeper for the grandkids! 

IMG_3499.JPG

Edited by Brettw
  • Like 3

All back together and running well.  Figured I put her to work right away.  No slackers in this fleet.

IMG_3500.JPG

• Like 1

You know, I won't give a Homelite chainsaw the time of day, but these tractors look great trimmed in blue.  I like!

Edited by Snojetter

Back in the day, Homelite made a pretty good chain saw.  Super EZ 150 was a great saw.  Not so much since then.......

3 hours ago, Brettw said:

Back in the day, Homelite made a pretty good chain saw.  Super EZ 150 was a great saw.  Not so much since then.......

My Homelite XL-12 which is about 10 years older than my Allis built Homelite T-12 has always worked well for me. 

5ae5f5052e110_HomeliteXL-12Pic1a.thumb.JPG.28cc5b2c40ab8bef508ebd6555947c12.JPG

5ae5f507e93cf_HomeliteXL-12Pic2a.thumb.JPG.af1650580285cb2e3aaf4a9e97fc341c.JPG

It's still going strong, but doesn't get near the use it used to.  It's on its 3rd bar I believe.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Darl Swartz
    • a_sannine
    • Snojetter
    • GregB
    • mbsengineer
    • Chris727
    • simplewrench
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts