Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

An awful expensive paperweight

SmilinSam
It must just be me or something. The 4040 I picked up last year had this shaft ruined as well as the double pulley on it. The 720 I have now too, has as you can see, a ruined shaft. On both tractors it appeared to be new parts that had been installed but installed improperly. On the 4040 the assembly was put back together minus the spacer between the bearings- that was easy to figure out. This one on the 720 baffles me as to what they did wrong. These were clearly all fairly new parts involved. Anyhow, anyone out there got a fair deal on Simplicity Shaft #176217, bearings #108202, spacer #176221, and washer #176219 New or Used in good shape???? http://a8.cpimg.com/image/68/0B/9468008-110b-02020258-.jpg

PatRarick
Sam, could that shaft be built up and turned down? I assume that a bearing without a locking collar is used here. If that is the case, I would even consider having the area knurled slightly to hold the bearing a little tighter. Pat

StinKy
Definitely could be filled up and turned down to org. diameter. Have done a lot of this at the place I used to work. Just need to be careful to keep the shaft reasonably cool while welding it up. We partially immersed shafts in a pan of water while using MIG to build up the surface. Dick

Bill_Wells
Sam, find out how long the splines were originally, if ya can. If not, no big deal, maybe I can from the local AC dealer, either way put em in a box, with the bearings, & send them to me. bill.

Woodydel
Sam, in the past I've gotten repair projects like that taken care of in local machine shops. I would stop in the bigger shops rather than small. My little projects looked ridiculous compared to the production runs going on. I would find an owner or supervisor, introduce my project and hope for the best. It never failed. Sometimes I would watch my parts being repaired as I stood there. I never paid much for the repairs. I believe the people actually welcomed something "different" to work on... Woody

PatRarick
Sam, if you are only missing 3/16" to 1/4" of spline, there should be plenty of spline left to do the job. Have the area where the missing splines are turned down to the diameter of the shaft inside the splines. Did this once on a 1655 MF. Been working well for eight years now. Pat

SmilinSam
Hell of a mess here now. Just looked at the replacement shaft and bearings I bought a while back for the 4040. Got the correct bearings, but the $104 shaft is for a 9020 as is the $90 double splined pulley that goes on it. ***TAKE NOTE GUYS**** The shaft for the 4040/616 is slighltly larger in diameter than the shaft for the 9020/720, as is the outside diameter of the bearings and the bearing holes in the pivot block as well. So....... that leaves me with a new shaft for the 720 and a new $90 pulley that I cant use on the 4040. The only way I see of saving the situation is to get a used pivot block out of a 9020 or 720 and get another new shaft or have this one fixed. Depends on cost I guess. OR...... I could get a used shaft and pulley from a 4040/616... and still be stuck with a new pulley for a 9020/720....Guess I'm going to lose $$$ no matter which direction I go on this one.

SmilinSam
Problem is I have found , that they apparrently did not get the nut torqued that holds the pulley on. The shaft worked its way back so the bearing was riding on about 3/16" - 1/4" of the splines. I'm guessing thats what brought about the wear. Anyhow, enough of the splines are gone to likely hinder the machine shop repairs you guys are talking of.

MPH
Sam, sound like you got more gremlins in you powermax then my van. Being stuck with the spare parts may not be a bad killer with your tractoring habits if you can just call it inventory..Mph