Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
GregB

Power dump for Johnny Bucket

GregB

Mounted up my trip dump Johnny Bucket this weekend.  I realized what a pain the trip dump is to use.  Sent an e-mail inquiry to Johnny Products to see if they make a retro kit to convert to Electric linear actuator dump.

They do not,  offered to sell me another bucket with preinstalled system for ~ $ 800+ ......... wah

That's not happening. He has the 2x speed 600lb actuator priced at $300

I know Ken (Maxwood) built his own with electric dump.  Saw the built post after a search.

Ken,

Anything you would have done different?  Where did you source the linear actuator and what specs did you pick?

PhanDad

Greg,

Another option, although not as nice as the liner actuator, is to copy the Johnny Bucket "Power Dump" prototype.  Don't know how many of this type they made.  I picked it up several years ago.  I was told it was made for an older (I can relate to that) gentleman that wanted an "automatic" Johnny Bucket.  This bucket is the "JR" version, not sure what the difference is from a "non-JR" Johnny Bucket you have (or maybe it's just semantics). 

On my "to do list" is convert the winch to a remote control unit - like those available at Harbor Freight - it would simplify the wiring.   

Original post about it:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/53176-picked-up-a-jb-jr/

Some pics mounted (you might recognize the tractor):

003.thumb.JPG.b715035badfd51047394608176119057.JPG

004.thumb.JPG.5683d5221c7aee544ff3916b8de24be6.JPG

rich_kildow

If you can source the actuator and weld, I would think it would be pretty easy to convert.  I have a power dump bucket and can take all the pictures you need if that helps.  I looked at upgrading to the turbo actuator and IIRC, his prices weren't too far off.  

GregB

Here is their current offering with frame mount and electric lift and dump.  They still make the axle mount trip dump version.  My plan would be to just mount the dump actuator.

IMG_0345.JPG

Here is Maxwood's version

Actuator bucket mount.JPG

• Like 1

GregB

A couple of pics maybe open and closed with a ruler or just lengths would be great.

I looked at the pricing, he is actually a little less than Surplus Center................

maxwood

Hello ,Here is one I bought ,  It was strong enough to dump what was in the bucket. I don't know if it would be strong enough for the lifting,but I had the hydro lift for that my bucket was 36 inches wide  I was able to move dirt and even dig in loose soil .

I had 8 inches of travel.

Thanks Ken in Mi

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WindyNation-12V-Linear-Actuator-UP-Down-Switch-Mounting-Brackets-225-lb-Lift/282797458819?hash=item41d80ac583:m:mm-AXKu0u0Ioei8Sf9uNYYA

Edited by maxwood