Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4040 timing

prez

I am trying to to get tractor started. It appears that the timing is off. I am picking up points and condensor tomorrow, the question I have is I am not sure what "top dead center" is? The block has many markings on it, so it is a bit confusing which one is top dead center. Sitting on the seat from left to right, which raised line is top dead center and why is there so many? thanks!

Jeff, not to sounp like a dip----, but my manuel says a quarter past top dead center looking at the blower housing from behind motor, which marking is the 20 degree mark on the timing cover? I think that I got it correct the first time by guessing allthough it wouldn't start but it did come close. I think my spark plugs need changing along with points and condensor, thanks in advance for the advice!

Mike, There's a really good picture and timing procedure in the Onan CCKA service manual. I think the 20 degree mark is about 2/3 of the way over from left to right (where you see all the hashes) - I guess about 1/4 past TDC. The marks are numbered at the bottom, but pretty hard to see through the hole. Reach down in with a rag and try to wipe the hash marks clean. You need to replace everything else first - before you even worry about timing. New points, condenser, plugs, rebuild the carb. and fuel pump, etc, etc. Start fresh and new and save yourself the headaches. That's the route I always take, anyway. That way you've eliminated all the variables. You're going to use the machine, so you might as well take the time and make it right. It will pay dividends in the end, believe me. Good luck - sounds like you're getting pretty close. I want to see a picture of it, when you get 'er all finished. ;o) Jeff

The 4040 is a little tougher to time than the later models, as you don't have the timing tab or mark on the front PTO. You have view down through the hole in the blower housing at the rear of the engine. Line up the T/C mark on the the flywheel with the 20 degree mark on the timing cover. It's all explained in the manual. I generally use a continuity tester (as I don't have a timing light). The test light should just come on as the T/C mark hits the 20 degree line. Timing is adjusted by sliding the points box side to side. Better hurry, the grass is a-growin'. Jeff