Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front spindle Bent?

GregB

Did something stupid yesterday in a hurry (isn't it always that way!).

Putting the fleet away and the johnny bucket on the 716-6  just caught the weight bolt on the left rear tire of the Big Ten.

Pushed it hard up against the rear of the parked 17gth-l, and the front Left wheel on the Big Ten got turn over pretty bad.

Now sits with much more outward tilt at the top (caster?)

Sounds like I bent a spindle.

Going to try to straighten, but what can I use to make the angle right?

By eye or what?

Ideas?

Guess I should paw thru the parts shelf to see if I have one first.

23 minutes ago, CTD01 said:

I would just replace it. They are a dime a dozen.

I agree that it would be best to replace it, but I don't think that it will be that easy.  I believe all the RBT tractors have the same spindle part numbers.  But the FDT tractors don't, especially the early year tractors.  Maybe Dan (rokon2813) could help you out.

If you can't find a matching replacement, I'd take the right spindle off and then "adjust" the damaged left one to make a mirror image of the right one.  

I did find a Simplicity front axle assy with both spindles still attached on the parts shelf.

Not sure what the spare came off of, guess I can figure out if it will work or not.

Bill any more specifics on the different spindles by vintage?

Greg,

These are left spindle part numbers with equivalent Simplicity part # in parenthesis.

B10 - 2025588 (No Cross)

Big Ten - 2026514 (157297)

B110 prior S/N 80001 - 2026705 (Might be  157291 - 2010 & 2110 Landlords)  Also B112 prior S/N 20001

B110 effective S/N 80001 - 2027203 (157611)  Also B112 effective S/N 20001  Same as Simplicity 3212H  

3314H (an RBT) through Sovereign 18 - 171774

Not sure any of this helps.

Used it yesterday did not seem to steer any different.  While you can see the tilt is a little more, I guess I'll live with it for now as a reminder.

• Like 1