Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

OrangeMetalGuy

Can a 712H handle a 46" deck

OrangeMetalGuy

I have come to the point where I no longer enjoy the semi-annual swapping of the implements.

I want to leave my 716H with it's snowplow, chains, counterweight, etc. as-is and just maintain it.

My other large-frame is a restored 712H.  Can I run my 46" mower deck with that engine?  My yard is barely 1/4 acre.  I'm thinking I'm good but wanted to check. Thanks!

RichardJay

Yes. 

I wouldn’t run a 48” deck on a 712h for an extended period of time such as an acre or two per week, though. That’s a big deck for a 12hp engine. 

ShaunE

I have run a 712H with a 48" deck back when I had it.  I mowed 1.5 acres.  I'm sure there was a reason it wasn't offered for that tractor but I did it with no problems for two seasons before I installed an Ark 515 loader on it.

PhanDad

I would think so.

I've been running my Homelite T-12 (Briggs 12 HP) with a 48" deck since the mid 70's.  Engine's never been touched and is still going fine.

DaveBsACs

you will be fine in my opinion, day in day out commercially you might have troubles but what you are going to do will be just good exercise for a good 12 hp, 

SmilinSam

It will work on a 12,  but every 12hp tractor I ever came across that had run a 48 extensivley, had a heavily worn oil burning  or blown engine on it. Kinda tells me how much stress a 48 puts on a 12 in the long term.

hurleyii

Old Faithfull ran a 48" deck and did fine although I have sand so grass sucks once spring is over. It can't be any harder on it then adding a rear pto leaf vac.

babablacksheep

It will help a lot if you don't let the grass get too high. A lot less strain on the engine if you are taking off 1" of grass at a time instead of 2" or more.

steve-wis

My 7 hp 627 runs a 32 inch deck and has done it since 1971 or so.  Agree with not letting the grass get out of hand, I believe it is recommended to cut about 1/2 to 3/4 inch off, if you have more raise the deck and run over it, then lower and cut it again.  I just cut my small yard with the 627 and I know I took off at least 1.5 to 2 inches, it worked it but did ok.  As far as I know, the engine on the 627 is original and uses no oil, runs great.

Brettw

Many of your walk behind or self propelled mowers are 21" cuts or there abouts, and they are running with 4 and 5 horsepower engines.  In my opinion, the 12 horse can run a 48" deck under normal mowing conditions, just fine.  The easiest way to feel your way through it, is to listen to the engine. If it's working its tail off, that should say something.  I think you will find, it is not.  

MikeES

A 48" deck was standard on the B and HB 212.  I have put 100s of hours on my HB212 with a 48".  Mowing over 3 acres.  But don't put a bagger with blower on, that WILL require 16hp or more.

• Like 1