Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ardisam

Deutz Allis 1920

ardisam

Ok guys, I have been away from the site for awhile and I'm back and need a little help with my Deutz Allis. This tractor I got over a year ago, and I had to rebuild the motor. All said and done, it was running great. It had been sitting over the winter in the garage and now I wanted to start it and let it run. Not the case, it seems I have no power from the key switch to the magneto. About a week before that it started and only ran for about 5 seconds, now I have nothing. I have tried key switches from the other Deutz Allis 1920 and the Agco Allis 1920 both with the Kohler M20 in them and no results. Any thoughts what might be the problem?

hurleyii

Disconnect the wire from the ignition switch that powers the magneto and try a jumper wire. If it starts your wore has a short, or just test the ohms in the wire. 

• Like 1

MikeES

First I would pull the spark plugs and see if you have spark on the plugs out of the engine.

If not:

Your magnum grounds the magneto (electronic ignition) to kill the engine.  Find the 3 prong plug on the right hand side of the engine near fan shroud.  Try the spark plug test again.  If you now have spark, reinstall plugs and try starting,  If it starts, plug the 3 way plug back in to kill the engine.  This will tell you that it is not an internal issue with the engine ignition but an external wiring issue.

If it doesn't start it could be the mag/ignition module is bad.   The ignition module can be tested externally.   Check ohms across the  2 high voltage (spark plug) leads it should read 22,000/42,000 ohms.  Anything higher or lower the module is bad. 

Or you lost the magnets on the flywheel.  Or it could be just a clearance adjustment on the ignition module (.008/012") to the flywheel. 

In any event you will need to pull the engine to fix the module, magnets or clearance

Edited by MikeES
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

ardisam

Thanks for the great suggestions guys! To start out, I ohm the coil and it had a reading lower than 22,000. I also ohm from the kill lead to the side lead of the coil and that was fine. The one thing I didn't do is use a jumper wire from the key switch to the magneto, you can't apply 12 volts to the magneto. It will burn it up. So in thinking, I got DOA magneto. I did notice this one wasn't from primeline. I have ordered a new one from the locate parts store. I will let you after I get it in. Great job guys!

ardisam

UPDATE:

Got the new magneto from the parts store, and install it. The tractor runs like it was new!!! I guess its the last and only time I will buy a magneto off Ebay form $29.99. For that price they will probably come DOA. Thanks for the help!!!

fishnwiz

Hit and miss with China. ...a real CRAP shoot. I have been lucky with some of the carbs ect and did buy 1 coil which worked awesome but the rubber wire were not heat resistant and melted the 1st time I started it.>:(

ardisam
14 minutes ago, fishnwiz said:

Hit and miss with China. ...a real CRAP shoot. I have been lucky with some of the carbs ect and did buy 1 coil which worked awesome but the rubber wire were not heat resistant and melted the 1st time I started it.>:(

I hear you Fishnwiz! I'm just hoping to get my money back!

Brettw
On 5/7/2018 at 9:15 PM, ardisam said:

I hear you Fishnwiz! I'm just hoping to get my money back!

No kidding, Ryan.  Not to mention your time to pull it all apart again.  Welcome back, by the way!

ardisam

Good News! I did get my money back, they didn't have another one in stock. Thanks Brett, it's good to be back. Give a call anytime!