Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vickers Rebuild Completed

Chris727

Back in February I decided to tackle fixing the leaky Vickers on my 3410H. I believed it would be unsellable as-is. A couple weeks ago I got it all put back together and at first it looked OK. Now today I noticed its leaking at the rear pintle shaft instead of the front. I had a bad feeling about this all along. 

Link to original post: https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/59729-fun-with-a-vickers/

DSCN7085.thumb.JPG.f286a54cfa69abf2467eaee644319a49.JPG

IMG_9182.thumb.JPG.26bdb0a1674f211afc6e864271d26844.JPG

DSCN7097.thumb.JPG.4bc7ffec2205550182738d77b421ae42.JPG

IMG_9404.thumb.JPG.13593b85e04555d2ca41aad367ed87e4.JPG

All cleaned up and assembled. Had to straighten a lot of the attaching tinwork and the cooler. New traction drive belt also, all new hoses, fluid, and filter. The hoses are difficult to install. It would have been easier to work with them if I had removed the LH sideplate but I didn't want to remove the cone clutch so I left it in place. 

IMG_9408.thumb.JPG.c71e92419d56c6024d426f21ad21b2b6.JPG

IMG_9456.thumb.jpg.f3c2e67e3317615021fcbcfce5a55926.jpg

I am not sure what is causing the leak at the rear pintle shaft. I had re-used the shaft rotating it as AL Eden had suggested in his post. I do not know if my machinist paid attention to the tolerances listed in the AC service bulletin. It was a very tight fit sqeezing the shaft with o-ring into the bore of the bushing. What I do know is that if I do another one of these, I'll find new pintle shafts somewhere and make sure whoever installs the bushings puts a chamfer on the edge so the o-rings do not get damaged. I have used the tractor for maybe an hour to an hour and a half since the repair and it had a small drip. I am not sure if it will get much worse or not but I'm not taking it apart again. 

Edited by Chris727
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

great job, at this point a drip or two on a Vickers is a non leaker in my book, I got several  more around here  when you are bored and looking for something to dosm01

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DaveBsACs said:

great job, at this point a drip or two on a Vickers is a non leaker in my book, I got several  more around here  when you are bored and looking for something to dosm01

Thank You Dave. It's certainly an improvement. Previously 20 minutes of running would have left all of the fluid on the ground. 

Congrats on getting it back together.

Other than the slight drip, does it work well (and as it should)?  

I still prefer a good Vickers over the Sundstrand.  Maybe it's because it's what I used for so many years before getting my first Sundstrand.  The Vickers always feels "smoother" to me.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhanDad said:

Congrats on getting it back together.

Other than the slight drip, does it work well (and as it should)?  

I still prefer a good Vickers over the Sundstrand.  Maybe it's because it's what I used for so many years before getting my first Sundstrand.  The Vickers always feels "smoother" to me.  

Thank You Bill. The tractor drives OK. It is responsive and smooth. It does not seem to have as much forward speed as my other Vickers powered units but that may be a linkage adjustment issue. I haven't really had it going for more than maybe 20-30 minutes at a time but never had any slippage. Will see if I get a chance to use it a little longer this weekend. 

Edited by Chris727