Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MrSteele

A question for the Kohler folks

MrSteele

I was using the mother in law's mower today, a Cub cadet with a Kohler Courage 19 HP engine. By my standards, the engine is barely broken in with 64.7 hours on it. everything fine, then it simply stopped. Cranking tells me there is no compression. No noises, just stopped running. I started looking. With the plug out, the piston is moving in the bore, so no rod issues, the exhaust valve has well over a quarter inch of clearance. The intake around .005. While turning the engine over by hand, sometimes, not sure which stroke, the exhaust rocker fails to move at all. Thinking cam lobe is no longer present on the exhaust cam shaft. BTW, anyone who designs an engine with that much garbage moving should be shot! 

Question, though, is it worth the effort of going deeper and repairing? Or, am I missing something, or something else entirely? The pushrod seems to be ok, with both tips still in place. I do not work on anything this new on a regular basis, never been into this engine before, and hope I never see another!

Any help is appreciated. I cannot afford to spend a whole bunch on this, but will not use my mower in her overly weed seeded yard again.

MrSteele

Found it. Decided to act like it was just another engine, pulled the head to see if the gasket had gone south. Gasket perfect. The head came off easily, and when I looked at the valves to check for bent, saw the exhaust valve seat out of plce. A new head costs $161. Junkyard time, am finding complete engines for less than half of that

• Like 1

fishnwiz

Someone here may be of help but not me. Run an ad in classifieds and roll the dice.

Best of luck! 

Chris727

Can you just peen it back into place? That used to be the "fix" for the old L-head Briggs aluminum block engines. With that low of hours the unit could have possibly been under warranty if its only a couple years old. 

• Like 1

B10Dave

Why would you consider a new head? Is the seat damaged or just out of place? Take out valve, put seat back in position and peen head to secure it again. Lap the valve back in and reassemble. An engine with only 64 hours on it is well worth fixing in my humble opinion. Buying a whole used engine could be buying a pig in a poke. No gaurantee.

• Like 1

Wilbur643

The Courage is probably the worst engine Kohler ever built, including the Triad. They put them in everything, go to any lawn mower junk yard, their everywhere.

• Haha 1

Angry Bear
5 hours ago, Wilbur643 said:

The Courage is probably the worst engine Kohler ever built, including the Triad. They put them in everything, go to any lawn mower junk yard, their everywhere.

I agree. Especially the earlier ones. The counter balance system would destroy itself. 

Kenh

I personally had two commands that the timing gear on the crankshaft split losing the cam timing.  The gear is pressed on the crank and the fit is sometimes to tight and after time it cracks and splits  The fix is new crank, cam and lifters.  

Ken

Edited by Kenh
  • Sad 2

MrSteele

Thought about peening. The engine is Chinese origin and build. I might try that sometime for the heck of it. Found a head for $25, put it on and cut the yard. If I had bought another engine, was simply going to swap the head onto the one on the tractor, to keep from the hassle of removing the engine. The engine/tractor unit had a time warranty. I use the Cub rarely, but decided to do so this year. After the removal of the mouse residences, it started right up, and almost ran long enough to finish the yard. Got it running again, but the dang valve cover leaks. Gotta fix that, now. Tried to be careful with the gasket, may not have it tight enough, or....

Kenh

Contact Kohler.  I had a Command that quit running.  The cam gear that is pressed on the crankshaft split causing loss of timing.   The engine had over 600 hours on it.  Kohler sent  a new crank, cam and lifters and it was warranted.  No labor, just parts.  You might talk them out of a new head.

Ken

• Like 1