Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Governor B&S 16 HP 326431

haykarenhardy

Have B&S 16 HP Model 326431 - 0190-01  - 7703041 in a 7100 series tractor. Yesterday while tilling may garden the governor stopped regulating the engine speed. When the engine was cold governor worked, but as the engine heated up I had fast idle or it wanted to run away. Governor lever (lever is on shaft going into block) got tight with hot engine. I parked the tractor overnight and when I started it up next morning the governor was free and worked good.  I just use the tractor for light duty and it seems fine until heated up, never worked on a governor before. What do I need to do to fix the problem?

Stan

• Like 1

Not sure myself what your issue is with the Gov.? There are several videos on YouTube that show proper setup of govenors I would start there to determine if you gov setting is out of tune causing engine to rev and run hot. I have never come across your issue before but someone here will have an answer for you...Good luck.

• Like 1

Isn't that controlled by the air inside the cover, is it possible that a mouse or something has gotten in there and make it tight?

• Like 1

I have a 7014, I  believe the engines are identical other than displacement. There are two springs that are on the gov. The one spring is very thin/small, is usually broken or even missing. Check to make sure this spring didn't break. I had a surging issue I couldn't resolve, this small spring was unhooked from the gov. Once reinstalled my surge problem went away. 

Good luck

Tom

Edited by thmsdoyle
  • Like 1

Governor is internal in crankcase.

Try the governor lever arm reset, but is the shaft to the inside tight, could bind when hot?

Also look for anything that could make the linkage to carb hang up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GregB said:

Governor is internal in crankcase.

Try the governor lever arm reset, but is the shaft to the inside tight, could bind when hot?

Also look for anything that could make the linkage to carb hang up.

Thanks for everyones input, I will try the governor reset this weekend, have B&S service manual for out of production engines -1919-1981. The governor lever/shaft has a good 1/16 inch in or out movement(horizontal) and is free (vertical movement) when cold, but gets tight when warmed up. I hate to pull and dissemble engine without knowing what to look for.

Stan

• Like 1

Any chance to squirt some penetrating oil or solvent to maybe clean out varnish or debris that may have accumulated over the years?

Is there a bushing that could be pulled or honed open slightly?

Pretty sure to pull the shaft you need to be inside the block though.

• Like 1

Went through governor reset as per B&S and problem seems to be resolved. PO had springs installed incorrect along with governor arm. seems to be good now, thanks for the help.

Stan

• Like 2