Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B207/208 HILO Unit Question

bowhunt4life

Have any member seen or come across the fabled HILO unit for the B207/208's? I personally have never seen one in person, only heard about them in stories and was convinced they never existed. 

I know the simplicity small frame HILO is not compatible with the B series small frames.

Hello, I picked up a 207, 2 weeks ago , I have been working on it  . I bought it as a project not knowing anything about it. Talntedmrgreen says it has a  Hi/LO  on it.  It is stuck and I need to take it apart and clean it . 

It may be awhile with all the other projects going on.

Thanks Ken in Mi

20180423_094236.jpg

IMG_2747.JPG

IMG_2746.JPG

If I remember right, the 207/208's use an entirely different transmission than the Simplicity Yeomans and Broadmoors.

I think the homesteaders  had the same trannys  as the Yeoman and broadmoors though.

Maybe someone else can clarify that.....

The 207/208's had the peerless transmission. This made the HILO from their Simplicity cousin's useless. 

Hello, So what do I have ? 

mine is not a 207, but a simplicity 707 sorry about that . I am still learning,

Thanks Ken in Mi

Edited by maxwood

Ken you have a Simplicity 707, your unit does have the 2 speed HILO pulley on it.. I am referring to the Allis Chalmers built B207 or B208. Here is a picture of mine. You can see on the seat pan that there is a hole for the HILO shift lever. However the Allis Chalmers version of the HILO seem to be non existant accept for a few that have been spotted over the years.

11.jpg

Hello, Do the 2 tractors, AC  B207  & simplicity 707  have common parts  the fender pans & frames look similar ?

Is there a service manual  available for the simplicity 707's

Thanks Ken in Mi

My guess is no on an Allis Hi-Lo range.  I am not sure how much info I have on the small Allis B series.  I can try to look to see, but I don't ever remember seeing one listed.  I could be wrong, as I have only been around a handful of the Allis versions.  The Simplicity versions - Broadmoor and Yeoman are much more common in MI as far as I see it.

Well, I have a PDF of the B series service manual, but we can't post PDF files here.  In the B206 section, it shows the repair of a Hi-Lo planetary.  Lousy scan/pics, but it is clearly a Peerless trans and not a Simplicity trans.  I don't know if the B206 uses the same trans as a B207.  If I get time, I may need to fire up the microfiche to look in an old Allis microfiche.  I don't trust electronic versions (PartSmart) of these old tractors.  There are too many things that have gotten mixed up and blurred over the years.  At one time, if you searched an early Broadmoor, say a 990425, the parts breakdown would show a square hood and a neutral safety switch.  Well, those belonged on 727 on up tractors, not the early ones.  There are other problems I have found over the years too, so keeping around microfiche and paper will always be important.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2018 at 9:05 AM, bowhunt4life said:

11.jpg

Is this going to be in Portage Chris?  I love cruising on mine and plan to bring it.  Would be neat to have some small frames

Looks pretty much like the same planetary setup but entirely different mount and shifter  

44975190-B51F-4EF0-B3A8-0F4C2348E0A3.thumb.jpeg.6ac60b20bdfbcc3b9d683cab7260993f.jpeg

DB7CFAE8-7633-4296-82B3-7660FBC6508D.thumb.jpeg.3cf991a79bc4b52123a565e503d50fd1.jpeg

9B3C0629-156B-4212-ADC1-63295F3C3027.thumb.jpeg.4e802d3626e42739d9c19dc9cf8e7a82.jpeg

• Like 1

Ha, I just snapped pics of my book just like what Josh posted!  I thought my old Allis B book only covered the garden tractors.  I never looked at anything else in it other than B112 stuff for a friends tractor years ago. 

I also snapped a pic of the parts microfiche.   Pretty hard to read.  Overall, it looks a lot like the Broadmoor version.  I misread the other info I had referred to.  I didn't realize a B206 has a different trans than the B207 and B208.   Lo range is only for the bigger 2 models per parts. 

20180513_121836.jpg

19 hours ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

Is this going to be in Portage Chris?  I love cruising on mine and plan to bring it.  Would be neat to have some small frames

Yep it sure will be there along with some various small frame attachments.

Here is a photo of one from an old ebay listing showing part #990348

this one has a longer shift handle than the one on my 707

Thanks Ken in Mi

download (1).jpg

download.jpg

IMG_2746.JPG

Ken the one you have pictured on the cardboard is made specifically for the FDT (foot draggers which are considered large frame tractors) and will not fit on your 707 (which is considered a small frame tractors). The unit on your 707 is made specifically for your tractors transmission which is a different transmission than the Allis b207/208 small frame tractors.