Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Legacy Starter Relay Kit

Bill725

FYI, there is Starter Relay Kit, P/N 1686945, $83, for the Legacy / 2000 / 2900 series garden tractors. The relay kit is suppose to care of the issue of turning the key and the engine does not turn over to start. The cause is there is too much voltage drop over the safety circuit to engage the starter solenoid. The relay kit comes with installation instructions, relay, wire assembly and attaching hardware and is plug and play.

Three cheers for safety.

You can never have enough.

sm00

I wonder if they upped the wire size in the safety circuits in the newest models or just added the relay. 

Been making my own kits using relays from Ford pickup trucks and a diagram BLT gave me a few years ago.

Homade, or oem, they do fix the problemdOd

Those automotive style relays (and sockets) are available on eBay.  I bought several a while back .  They are also useful for various automotive projects.  You can wire them a multitude of ways.

John Deere dealerships sells a starter relay kit also but for $25.   JD has the same issue with their garden and compact tractors.  I bought one for my Kubota, same issue.

• 3 months later...

Jack has them for about $83.  Anyone found them cheaper? 

How hard is it to install?  Is it something that someone like me with no electrical background can do without too much trouble?

Very east to install. Comes with instructions. Plug & play. And the best thing is I have never had an issue with starting since.

You don't have to spend that much money at all....All you need is a 12V relay..for horns or auxiliary lights....30 or 40 amp, and an in line fuse holder with a 30 amp fuse..get both at any local NAPA, Advance or Auto Zone....two other short lengths of wire with solderless teminal ends  and it takes less than 20 minutes to do...parts are less than $8...I think JD came out with a kit for the 318s and it is being used on the STXs...it does not bypass any of the safety switches, and ends that annoying problem of not starting.....if anyone wants me to send them the schematic pm me and I will be glad to send it....I got it  from a guy on another tractor forum ( giving credit where it is due)

Edited by MARK (LI)
  • Like 1