Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tiller info

snapper1650

Billy, you got yourself a gilson tiller, I got one with each of the tractors I got last spring, on has gears out and the other works now that I got the rust out of the pivot point. When mounted on a gilson tractor the clearance under the gear case is about 2 or 3 inches, drop one tire into a hole and your highcentered. Too bad because it is stout built unit, just not user friendly. Takes 90wt gear lub in the box. Should be able to get manuals from a good Toro dealer. there are two sites on Yahoo one for gilson and one for monkey ward, both about average for yahoo, since they did the switch to the grouppy thing I haven't spend much time checking them..What you gonna do with it??? MPH

Do any of you guys that mess with other brands recognize this tiller, or have any info on it (like parts manual, oil used in case, .etc). It has a model# GIL 33163 A (I believe this is a Gilson, but can't find any info on it). Any help would be appreciated...thanks, Billy[A href='http://www.joerlansdale.com/shenchuan/till/till4.jpg'][img src='http://www.joerlansdale.com/shenchuan/till/till3.jpg'][/a]

Strange, didn't see where anything happened when I posted the pto ? so I tried again and still saw no results. Must be a delayed reaction postting or something..Glad you found the site, replys are often slow in comming on there..good luck. Oh, on the drive shaft, it runs off a pulley off the front PTO that hangs under the front end about 2 1/2 inches off the ground. The drive shaft works real good to collect any weeds or loose matter so it doesn't get tangled up in the tiller tines:]... MPH

MPH... Thanks for the reply. It is built like a tank, compared to others I've seen. I checked bearing end play, slack, and all that before I bought it. Seems tight, and in working order. I was going to change the gear lube first thing (it was sitting outside) and was unsure of lube. Thanks for lube weight. One important question. Do you know if this is a 540 or 2000 rpm unit? This relates to your "what you gonna do with it?" question. I want to use it on my Snapper (Massey) 1650 w/ 3pt. cat.0 hydraulic lift that also has the 2000rpm pto. I'm hoping that the adapter plate I build will overcome the position of the gear case. You are right about the positioning! I searched for Gilson on yahoo but couldn't find it. Found a couple of dead links to an old site. I'll try montgomery ward next as you suggested. And YOU ARE CORRECT about the yahoo groupy thing. There are some good people on the Massey sights I use..but..Man, what a pain. Yahoo really made it headache with the ads. That's why I love this sight so much. Kent deserves every bit of the praise he gets! I'll check for a Toro dealer in the area for manuals. Thanks for your help... and if you know the RPM question, let me know..... Billy

Billy, when mounted on a gilson it runs off a 5 foot driveshaft from the front of the engine, I don't have a clue if that be considered 540 or 2000. Mounted on a 3pt it might be a functional unit..Haven't checked the gilson site in awhile, maybe it went away like all the photos did when they made the switch..MPH

Billy, the gilson site appears to still be there, last post was april 7th, I haven't been able to post on it since it went grouppie. Maybe you can guide me how to. Lost track of a guy in Fairbanks I had just met on there who has a couple old B10's. Was hoping to maybe do some trading with him..MPH

Wow... a drive shaft to the engine. These 'ol tractors sure have different set-ups between the brands. Thanks for trying on the RPM. I'm about to try again at finding the gilson site. Haven't had much time this morning. Everybody keeps bringing me work to do...LOL -- At least if you say it's there, and working, I can find it. There sure are alot of mad people, who lost their pics and are having posting problems on yahoo. There was an email to all members about what to do if you had problems after the conversion. I don't know if I saved it, but I'll look. Stay warm up there (it's bumpin' 80 here in east Texas today). Thanks for all your help... Billy 12:35 my time... I found the gilson site. Are you frozenfarms...LOL--I'll watch the thread and see what they say. Thanks again Martin.

Billy...Can't tell you anything about the rpm, but if for some reason your project doesn't work out, I may be interested in this tiller.

Martin, you're pto question showed up twice on the gilson site, so it did work. I don't know why you can't see it though. I looked for that info on the yahoo group changeover, but I did not save it. Sorry. In the above picture, I cut the end of the drive shaft off when taking the pic. But there is only another inch of shaft, and it is rounded off on the end. I bet it becomes a pain to clean off that drive shaft under a gilson...Billy

Billy, I can see the posts now, just couldn't after I posted them. I'm lucky enough to have a tiller for my 725 and my troybuilt so I don't need to use the gilson. Just had to check it out cause it came with a the 16 hp tractor I got cheap cause of a bad knock that turned out to be carbon built up. It had lug tires on it plus hydro lift so I had to take it, now I hate to use it for parts cause its all complete and works and is in nice shape..MPH

Martin, I wouldn't have passed it up either. Maybe you can make it a dedicated tractor for something else? Looks like your having too much fun with the powermax's right now anyway (from the other posts'). Here I am gardening (my purple hulls popped the ground Saturday) and you're up there pushin' snow. Kbann... It just so happens that while I was looking for a Toro dealer this weekend (per MPH suggestion on parts manuals) I ran across a guy that had a snapper/MF tiller that is made for my tractor. I'm going to look at it today. If I purchase it, I'll be looking to sell the gilson. But as MPH will tell ya, that thing is pretty heavy (as far as shipping goes). I'll holler at you if that deal goes thru, and I need to unload the gilson... Billy