Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wanna play?

Kent

Marty, It loaded fine for me. Did you read those few small words? They say, "Alaskans NOT Allowed". Kent, It looks very good. There's something called "Side Menu" that keeps following me no matter where I go.

Hi Kent, I for one think this version of the club house is more "home like" that BBS bulletin is not as user friendly and just doesn't have the appeal, it looks more commercial, I am not saying you did a bad job, but this one looks nicer and is overall better to use, thanks,-BradW

For me the obvious "infraction" if you could call it that is the inclusion of current "News". When you consider all the flack about NT in the past which prompted my unwanted behavior (in protest) of eliminating all of my offensive non-tractor posts the "News" is not welcomed by me. In the message area I may have missed a button for including photos easily by those who can't even insert photos here. Can't wait to see all the "unusual" text formatting which will be pouring out. I'll go back in and get myself more accustomed to the new look. However, most sites should not (this is my opinion) have to be learned or should I say searched out so intensely. I indeed recognize the effort involved to give more power to the membership. I have not voted yet. Woody

Kent, I kinda agree with Woody that it will take some getting used to. I'm a little concerned about some of our less savy internet users being able to negotiate their way around. I've met some guys lately that have just recently gotten an ISP, and have stumbled on this site. Don't get me wrong, Kent, for me and a lot of other guys, it will be a great improvement. If we can maintain the personal/friendly flow of conversation we have now, it will be wonderful. Thanks for your hard work, Paul

Kent, Went in to play, I'm not sure. Will there be less overhead to maintain? I did not play long, the side bar seems like an interesting idea, probably just take some learning to navigate. Will "play again" then vote.

I'm not sure the present format is "broken" and if it ain't broke ...... The present mixture of ideas just adds to the interest and with the "search" function, it's possible to get info on most problems. I would probably end up checking out all entries into all the different categories to be sure I didn't miss anything. The look is great and the effort appreciated. In the end, I would be privileged to access this club in any format.

Kent, I really appreciate all the work you have put into this site. But I played with the new clubhouse for over 20 mins I got nothing but frustrated. The present clubhouse is very intuitive, others that I have put on to this site claim the same thing. But I am just an old tractor mechanic, I can't even figure out how to link a picture or anything. Mike S.

Kent, Went in and looked around, I liked the separation of items by type (in the for sale area) it should make it easier to find specifc items. The only real problem I had Was that it loaded slower than the current site. FYI: I was getting an error on each page as it loaded, it read: line 38 error:'changecontent' not defined Roy

things loaded VERY slowly (may be a function of setting up site), but on the plus side, seemed to be lots of neat new options available. could even see this with this format setting the site as my homepage. i did had trouble loading page similar to MPH, but switched to an ms explorer browser and things loaded fine (albeit slow). will try with netscape 6.2 tomorrow when i get ot work to test again. one problem is (as a few the previous postings have documented) it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks (no offense intended to anyone). also, don't really know how many member have older computers (i'm using a 100 mHz laptop), but the new format may present some problems (e.g., connection speed, CPU, etc.) i'll reserve my vote till i try things from work. right now leaning on the positive side, but need a balance too, relative to issues presented in this thread. kent- might want to start a poll related to what machines people are using to connect - just a thought. dav

I tried it and my computer locked up. It might be my line or computer I'm not sure. It looks interesting though and I'm sure that I will get used to it. John H I went on a second time and it did not lock up the computer but it was very slow, it took about 1 to 2 minutes to change pages. Is that from my computer or from my in oming line? John H

Woody, I just discovered the problem with Netscape -- since people were complaining of slow loads -- I knew MPH was running Netscape. I was on the site last night with V4.73 and it worked OK, with one minor bug noted. BTW, here's some interesting stats for the month of March. Most browsers by brand preference: MSIE with 14361 sessions (46.65% of all sessions) AOL with 11338 sessions (36.83% of all sessions) Netscape with 2661 sessions (8.64% of all sessions) Other with 1779 sessions (5.78% of all sessions) WebTV with 524 sessions (1.70% of all sessions) MSProxy with 73 sessions (0.24% of all sessions) Opera with 49 sessions (0.16% of all sessions) Most popular user operating systems used for access: Windows 98 with 18035 sessions (58.58% of all sessions) Windows NT with 6206 sessions (20.16% of all sessions) Unknown with 3365 sessions (10.93% of all sessions) Windows 95 with 2621 sessions (8.51% of all sessions) Macintosh PPC with 404 sessions (1.31% of all sessions) Windows 3.1x with 108 sessions (0.35% of all sessions) LINUX with 24 sessions (0.08% of all sessions) SUN OS with 15 sessions (0.05% of all sessions) HP-UNIX with 5 sessions (0.02% of all sessions) OS/2 with 2 sessions (0.00% of all sessions) Kind of like Pareto's Law -- over 90% of the programming headaches are caused by about 10% of the visitors and Netscape... I'll keep working it. Kent

Kent, On my first effort it loaded slow (strange since I am on the cable) and then locked up Netscape. I'll try some more and see what happens. Roy

Herb, The side menu is just that -- try moving the mouse close to it and you'll get a quick jump menu to selected functions. Don't know if you're kidding or not... Kent

Kent, ones thing is for sure, if you do switch to VBulletin aka club "2" I sure wouldn't mind being a moderator for some of the boards ;) -BradW

Noticed Opera at the bottom of the list. Probably me fooling around. So I loaded the newest version 6.01. It loaded the new test clubhouse page except for some page formatting errors. However, during the login process (at the existing site)it did trap three errors. IE and Communicator let them pass hmmm.. Communicator will finally load page but there are too many problems. I smell MS messin with Java (to make it theirs?) Woody

Kent, I went in and registered, but mistyped my email address and never got the email confirmation. Tried to go back and fix my mistake, but it said that the username was already taken. So I had to re-register under a diferent username and password. Any way to fix that? Paul

Kent, I like the format, seems like it'll be great once you get the bugs out. I just bought a pc that has windowsXP hope to be able to use it. As long as nobody gets left out or behind, i vote yes.

Paul, Both should now work for you -- I saw the other one "pending confirmation" and approved it... That's not a bug, but done on purpose. It's designed to prevent duplicate memberships (there's over 200 now in the database): (1) It must be a valid email address by making you confirm it in an email sent to you (there's a bunch of invalid ones in the current one too..) (2) Only one membership is allowed per email address (3) I can periodically email newsletters or QC messages and delete all "bounces"... (4) You can request your password yourself, instead of the 3 to 5 emails per day that I get now.... Kent

Woody, It's JavaScript and Netscape's ever-changing document model that's causing the problems -- NOT Java or JavaBeans -- there isn't any Java used as far as I can tell... I'll warn people now that I've given up on trying to support Netscape Version 6 -- use it at your own risk. We no longer even try at work to support Netscape in anything complex -- it costs our customers too much -- as much as 50% more time spent testing and de-bugging. And I'm dumb enough to try it here for free.... No comment on MS or Mr Bill's intentions... Kent