Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Synthetic Oil

BradW

Hi, I cannot seem to find a good answer so I am wondering as if I can use synthetic oil in my kohler motor? It is on my 2000 regent and it seems if I just change the oil filter and oil it will be fine, thanks,-BradW

No problems switching to Synthetic Oil as long as your engine is broke in other wise your rings won't seat. This and a $1 might get you a small cup of coffee The ghost of Maynard aka/UCD

Hi Maynard, thanks for the info, the motor is broken in since I cut 2 acres a week with it for 2 years so it has broken in quite well, I was just wondering if I could switch to synthetic as it makes the motor seem to run cooler and run smoother, thanks,-BradW

How about an older magnum 20HP (approx 3 years old)? better yet is there a cut off or age of engine doesn't matter? Eddy

It doesn't matter, but if your motor already smokes (i.e. bad rings or needs rebuild) synthetic will make things worse, -BradW

Unless the engine manufacturer specifically says do not use synthetic oil it can be used in most any engine. Since synthetic oil tends to "creep/seep" through gaskets more than standard oil it can be a mistake to put it in an older engine. Any oil leaks will be magnified/increased. Conversely, synthetic oil tends to reduce oil consumption so it can be a good thing in an old engine. I have switched to synthetic oil on several high mileage vehicle with good results. The exception was my son's 91 Mazda B2200. Shortly after the change it began using oil and blowing a cloud when cold. Turns out the valve stem seals were shot (common to Mazda I found out later) and the compression ring gaps on the #3 piston became aligned. I rebuilt the engine but did not refill it with synthetic oil. So far it has worked fine. Conversely, in my daughters 85 Toyota van when I switched to synthetic oil, at 125,000 miles, there were good changes. No leaks, ran cooler, ran quieter, and didn't use quite as much oil. Converted my 90 Accord at about 120,000 miles with equally good results. My experience and nickels worth. Roy

I run synthetic oil in my vehicles but I wouldn't run it in my tractor's engine, especially if it didn't have an oil filter. The benefits of synthetics are superior to petroleum but the cost it greater. Changing oil at 25 or 50hrs is a waste of money and petroleum oils will do fine in that short of time. If you could extend drain intervals (by adding a bypass filter) then it would be cost effective. I do run synthetics in the bevel gear box and trans. Just my 5 cents. Jim

Jim, my regent has an oil filter which gave me the idea. My manual already reccomends changing petroleum oil every 100 hours so it doesn't matter using synthetic for me, thanks,-BradW

I run 5w60 Synthetic raceing oil @ $7.60 a qt dealer cost in my 7790 diesel. It has worked as much or harder than any 10 other tractors. It has run 12 hrs straight full throttle quite a few times, to many to count blowing snow. It has at a conserveative estimate over 5000 hrs on it and it is still going strong. It even starts at @ 20 below O with the help of a heat lamp for about 15 min. And yes i have beat on it but it can't be beat it keeps comeing back for more. It has lived most of its life in a heated garage. The last 2 in an unheated garage. This tractor is going on 18 yrs old. Old enough to vote. Maynard aka/ucd