Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

MARK (LI)

4212 Hydro transmission question

MARK (LI)

I came across this 4212...needed a lot of cleaning up..I found the operator manual, but can't find anything about  adjusting the transmission...no matter how gently or easily I ease off the brake / clutch it really jumps in both drive and reverse....not a smooth engagement at all...anyone have any experience with these and know how to over come that problem? It is hydro with forward, reverse and neutral...speed just gets controlled by the throttle....if I really slow it down it makes it a little smoother, but not a lot

B10Dave

Using clutch/brake pedal not needed to operate a hydro trans. Leave the pedal alone and just move the control lever ahead or back. The pedal disconnects the drive to the hydro pump. Ease the lever forward or back. Don't just jam it to one extreme or the other. Practice will make it easy to use when you see how it is supposed to work. Again.....don't use the pedal. Control direction and speed with the lever. As you move it out of the neutral position the tractor will start to move and the further you move the lever the faster it will go. To stop just return to the neutral position. KEEP YOUR FOOT OFF THE PEDAL except for an emergency stop.

Edited by B10Dave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MARK (LI)

I bet you there is something about that in the manual...I just didn't see it...thank you

Edited by MARK (LI)
I mispelled some words
  • Like 1