Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

22hp Predator

tweinke

I haven't posted a lot here for awhile but do check in often to see what's going on.So like a few of you guys I repowered my AC 917 with a 22HP Predator engine. Thanks to the guys who posted their installs! So far I'm very impressed with how much smoother it runs and there does seem to be better fuel economy at least under a good load compared to the 14hp Kohler that was the temporary replacement for the worn out KT17 that was original. At this time no headlights due to the close muffler clearance but I am thinking on that right now. The last time I mowed with it started to run a bit rough and not want to idle almost like it was missing, I checked for good spark and also compression both were ok. I hooked up my ignition scope and verified that the spark was good when it was acting up also. The miss cleared up with a little squirt of carb spray in the air inlet. I removed the carb and took the bowel off and found what appeared to be several chunks of black rubber. Removed the main jets and blew all the passages out at this point I decided to pop the caps out on the top side of the carb and low and behold there are low speed mixture screws and they actually do work. after putting it all back together and warming up the engine I adjusted them equally about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. this engine has never idled so well since new. Just thought someone might like to know this little tidbit.

Todd

• Like 1

Could you post a pic of the caps you popped!  Mine hasn't been wanting to idle quite right (still very good, mind you) and has been popping when shut down.  It would be great to be able to fiddle with those.

This reminds me that I need to get the pics back up on here for my install after the photobucket debacle.

Here you go. I carefully drilled a small hole in the cap and pried the plugs out. I did cover the screws back up with a couple plastic plugs that I had laying around. As a side question how is the temperature under the hood hood, mine would make the gas tank very hot. I did add a heat shield to keep some of the heat at the front of the hood. 

Carb_LI.jpg

Edited by tweinke

It's a noticeably warmer engine under there, but I wonder how much of that is engine vs the muffler?  I stay nice and toasty with the cab on in the winter!

I think its muffler heat mainly. I added a couple heat shields up by the muffler to keep the heat up front and at this point think it has helped a lot. Mine was hot enough under the hood to make the dash area uncomfortable to touch. Being I just installed the engine end of January this is the first experience in warm weather for me. 

DSCF0602.JPG

After three warm 80+ degree mowings I can say in my opinion the heat shield works. No more hissing gas cap.