Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lift cable frayed !

GregB

Was under the 917 yesterday.  Wanted to change the fixed clevis cable to one with the adjustable clevis I finally found.

I have the cable set-up for the HD 38" tiller so that the rear goes down when the front goes up, like the instructions specify.

The install instructions say not to use the pully so when I installed the cable years ago I did not. (now the cable is ~$150 wah)

Cable is pined to the front of the arm on the shaft like this:

5b017ceca0f75_Tillerliftarm.JPG.529e5a3e5271935636e54b74444e95d5.JPG

The cable frayed I think where it goes over the rear frame above the BGB.

Happen to anyone else?  Ideas to prevent ruining another cable?

I was thinking of heat shrink around cable at that spot maybe.  Any other suggestions?

I suggest when not using the rear hitch, putting a spring in the rear between the rear sleeve hitch hole and the hole for the pin for the tiller mule drive to keep tension on the cable when no weight is on the hitch. If you are going to put a protective sleeve on the cable, you might want to slide a piece of gas line hose on it. It should last longer than heat shrink.

Gas line hose is a good idea.  I did find a small diameter piece of split wire loom when I was poking around this am.

The Spring idea has got me thinking, but I have a stinger weight and donut weights on the way from the auction.

Since the cable has not  been lifted up as high in the opening (no Pully ) it is also laying on the pivot point for the Cone clutch.

Think that is were the fray happened.

Besides the protection I think I may use a loosely applied tie wrap to hold the cable up were the Cone clutch has a wire cage the cable goes thru.

Does anyone know why Simplicity Engineers would have wanted to NOT use the pulley?

I cannot believe it shortens the effective length of the cable by that much, when you move the attachment point.

Engineers design stuff to be easy to build, not repair.  If they had to actually use the stuff they design, they would make the same modifications you and I have to make.  Check out cable and fittings at Home Depot/Lowes - - - much less than $150.