Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Brettw

Interlock Module

Brettw

I found this diagram in the searches, but need the help of one of the electical gurus on here.  The tractor I am working on is a later model 7100 / GTHL series, with the seat interlock switch, which the PO has bypassed (jumper loop) as the seat didn't have the switch setup.  When I got this, it also did not shut off at the key.  I believe I have located all the correct wiring.  The problem is the ground to kill and another wire that goes to the ignition module is showing as being grounded at all times.  If I disconnect the module,  ( I have not seen these on older versions?) then the ground to kill works properly, grounding when the ignition is switched to the off position, and not grounded when in the on position.  The other times it shows as NOT being grounded, is when there is an open safety switch, drive, PTO, seat.   Something seems out of wack.  Is that due to a bad interlock module?  Are they still available?  Other thoughts? Thanks in advance!

16GTHL_Wire7116a.jpg.0f01c4c7af544227a3dbb621ce05bf6b.jpg

Chris727

The GTH-L tractor had a KT-17 engine from factory. I don't remember mine having a module but it did have the seat switch. My 75th Sovereign does have an interlock module. 

PhanDad

Brett,

That's my marked up wiring diagram when I converted my 17GTH-L (with OEM KT17 as Chris stated) to a "7116" (Briggs install).

This is the wiring diagram for the OEM 17GTH-L (with more of my scribbles for Briggs conversion):

16GTHL_Wire7117_a.jpg.5d52c209beb9fa25c2adda20cfe75d84.jpg

And here's the wiring diagram for earlier Kohler tractors without the interlock module:

16GTHL_Wire7117_NoIM.jpg.34295751b3b6a43b8c3e6de5319364d9.jpg

Personally, I'd ditch the IM, they fail and cause intermittent grounds that kill the engine.  I feel I'm safe enough to use the tractor without the extra "seat nanny".

• Haha 1

Brettw
16 hours ago, PhanDad said:

Personally, I'd ditch the IM, they fail and cause intermittent grounds that kill the engine.  I feel I'm safe enough to use the tractor without the extra "seat nanny".

Done, Bill.  I came to that conclusion.  It had to be the seat nanny IM, nothing else made sense.  Works fine now.  Thanks for your diagram, it helped me to locate the bad egg!