Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Homelite right discharge deck

kwt

My deck may be done. The center arbor that does most of the work is toast. The arbor itself has rusted out and is too thin to weld. I think it's the same deck as an AC 300 series. Anybody have an arbor laying around? A deck in N Michigan?

Very sorry to hear...the ol gal must have some hours on her!  Hopefully someone will chime in with what you need.  

And Welcome to the club!

On 5/21/2018 at 9:25 AM, Talntedmrgreen said:

Very sorry to hear...the ol gal must have some hours on her!  Hopefully someone will chime in with what you need.  

And Welcome to the club!

MANY hours. Bought new by my grandfather in 1973. Used ever since. 45 years is a good run.

I did put an oversized piston in it along with a little port work about 5 years ago. I would have raised compression but wasn't sure the starter/gen would roll it over well. Engine was tired, but amazingly, I reused the rod and cap. Just piston and rings. I've mowed 2 acres and tilled an 80x60 fooot garden with it for 20 years. Never mind what Grandpa did.

Edited by kwt
more info
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 9:25 AM, Talntedmrgreen said:

And Welcome to the club!

I am palmrose2. I was a member before you had to pay dues. Near as I can tell, all posts under that moniker are gone. I paid dues and joined as KWT because the old "stuff" didn't work.

So thank you for the welcome, but I'm not as "new" as it appears.

6 hours ago, kwt said:

I am palmrose2. I was a member before you had to pay dues. Near as I can tell, all posts under that moniker are gone. I paid dues and joined as KWT because the old "stuff" didn't work.

So thank you for the welcome, but I'm not as "new" as it appears.

Welcome Back!

I once had a Allis 312 here that uses the same style deck. Its 42" deck was toast. The arbor and the shell was all rusted out. I had accumulated  a buch of Simplicity 5000  series deck parts including one good 42" deck shell. Found that the shell stamping was basically the same for the hanger parts and roller bar parts from the Allis deck to bolt up to. The arbor and blade assemblies are all different though. What I did for that was to use 3 of the short splined shaft assemblies in it for the 5000 series decks.. Only thing I lacked was a center drive pulley based on the splined shaft system that would work for the 312. I ended up taking two of the same height pulleys and  put them on a shaft to center them and clamped them together, then welded them. Not much room between the pulley lips to get the welding rod between, but it worked. Deck worked out great. Wish I still had all the pictures.

Just to note, there are something like 3 different heighth splined pullies used on the 5000 and soveriegn series decks across the different model number decks. I think I used 4 of the shortest ones. I know its not alot of help without pictures and model numbers, but its all I got. Just another option thats out there for those with totally deceased decks.

Edited by SmilinSam

In the classifieds:

mowerdeck312D.thumb.jpg.a4a3cf0727c85871

https://simpletractors.com/classifieds/item/673-allis-300400-series-mower-deck-42/

Should be more than enough parts to get your deck running again even if it's 48".  Arbors tubes and shafts are the same between the 42" & 48" decks.  Outboard pulleys and lower center pulley are the same, but center top driven pulley is different.  

If you use the driven pulley from a 42 on a 48,it'll spin faster & cut better (shh don't let the cpsc folks find out)