Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
steve-wis

potential tranny swap

steve-wis

Hello!

Starting to get going on projects, can't get my truck in the garage any more.  I have a 3212 that I plan on putting a loader on in the future.  It is a variable and the pulley on the tranny is shot, as is the imput shaft it goes on.  I have a donor tractor, a 3112v, with a good tranny and pulley and I was going to swap the trannys from them.  However, I also have a 3410 that I might part out.  It has a straight three speed.  Will this tranny bolt to the 3212?  I am thinking I don't need the variable with a loader on the tractor.  Any advice or info is, as always, appreciated!

Steve

Brettw

Hi Steve,

I had a bad variable pulley and shaft setup on a 3212 myself.  Keyway all wallered out on the shaft, pulley shot.  Well, here was the "easy" fix.  I found a good pulley set on E-bay, that fixed the pulley issue.  On the shaft (as I recall that is a woodruff key) I spun the shaft 90 degrees (old keyway pointing down) I supported the shaft with a 2x4 block with a wedge cut in it to keep it firm and supported off of the floor.  I scribed a straight line and carefully center punched 3 or 4 evenly spaced places on the line and drilled with a bit just smaller than the woodruff key.  I then took a Dremel tool with a metal cutting wheel (thin and just a tad flexible, maybe 1/16" thich, 1" in diameter?) and took mytime to cut out the excess and carefully grind to the point that the woodruff finally fit in.  Nice and snug, the round cutting disc of the Dremel was just the ticket.  It took a bit, but not all that long, and I just sat there comfortably and took my time.  Worked like a champ, and didn't need to tear the whole thing apart.

Start with the keyway, worst you can do is screw it up and you're only out some time a few bux in discs, and you aren't any furthe behind.  As an example, here is a link to a guy with a variable setup for sale on Craig's https://sheboygan.craigslist.org/grd/d/simplicity-parts/6585755941.html  if you get the keyway all right, then pop for the pulleys!

Just a thought.  Fairly easy and inexpensive (pulley setup wasn't too bad), and I still had a variable drive. Good luck!

Edited by Brettw
  • Like 2

SmilinSam

Pretty sure the 3410 tranny will bolt up fine.  You should be able to bolt it up either way, using the 3200 series frame plates, or the 3400 series frame plates. If you want to be able to use your 3200 series pto you will have to swap the tranny into the 3200 series frame and keep the 3200 series gearbox/pto setup so all the engagement parts will fit and work properly.

If you dont care about a pto, you can just bolt the 3400 series rear half right up to the 3200 series frame and use the 3400 series gearbox. just use the 3400 series driveshaft yoke on the end of your driveshaft assembly. You would have to re-engineer the parking brake control though.

You can build a custom pto engagement  rod system if you want to switch the 3200 series over to the cone clutch pto system. Both Kent and my conversion topics have that in them in the "do it yourself" section.

Both style pto systems are easily sellable items too if you dont use them or need them.

Edited by SmilinSam

MikeES

Depending on "how" wallered out the keyway is, I have used JB Weld to fix a few keyways, deck arbors and even on the axles and have not had one fail yet.

steve-wis

Pulley was completely shot, beyond repair, and the keyway is now running almost 90 degrees around the shaft.  I think a tranny swap is the way to go, just trying to figure out which way I want to go.  Sam, I assume if I put the 3400 tranny in, I need to swap the bgb also?  I won't be putting any pto on the tractor, it is going to be only a loader rig.  I will run the hydraulic pump off the front shaft of the engine, so no pto or lift setup is needed.  If I put the side plates from the 3410 on, I am not sure if my loader sub frame will still attach, will need to check that out.  This is going to be a long time project, for now I want to get the tractor set up and the sub frame on.  Will make up my mind by this weekend, I am hoping to have the thing running by Monday.

Steve