Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hick

Making the Ol' Girl (and me!) work

Hick

Doing some renovation at work (a retirement community), replacing the patio. We had a 14' x 3" feed bunk for flowers. The concrete contractors moved it off the old patio and onto the lawn with a tracked Bobcat with it full of dirt (10" deep). They didn't want to put it back in place with the Bobcat, and wanted us to wait a full month before putting it back in place (full). We want it off the lawn so it don't kill the grass.
I took my utility trailer and Deutz-Allis tractor in yesterday morning. Pulled up alongside the bunk and started shoveling. Top 4" is mostly potting soil. Next 2 was a mix of potting soil and whatever they put in the bottom. Discovered that was a heavy soil, and very sticky. As well as heavy (we had 3" of rain the previous week).
At first I didn't think my trailer (8'x4'x1.5' working bed) would hold it all. I started skimming the first 6" off and putting it in the trailer. Hmmmm . . . Not as full as I thought it would be! Kept going, putting the "clay" on top. I figured there was 1.3 cubic yard of wet soil, no idea how heavy that would be! But I still had room on the springs. 

5b04f95e7da6f_2018-05-21Patio3.jpg.b84cd4d322071b0ceccedb83f2b9c3cc.jpg

I lined it with plastic since it will be another two weeks before I can unload it into the bunk. I didn't want the wood sides to soak up and distort. We have had new sidewalks put in over the last couple years, and had gaps next to them. So I was putting some of this dirt in those gaps. Problem was this is so sticky that I could not tamp it down with the spade: it would stick and pull right back up! 
Okay, back to the trailer, a slight problem: The trailer weighs 900# empty. Add the 1.3 cu yd of wet dirt, then pull it with a 900# tractor. Pulling it wasn't much of a problem. Well, except the turf tires tend to spin on wet grass. I have ag bar tires for it, just haven't gotten them on. 
Stopping was another story, especially if I was headed a bit downhill, and it tends to skid around when stopping on a turn!
So now the tractor & trailer are in the garage at work, still loaded with most of the dirt. On the next few hot days, I'll probably pull it outside to let it dry our. Don't' want to leave it out in case it may rain. Or disappear . . . .

Now to move the bunk back in place (it's okay, since it's empty). I was able to pick up one end by myself, so I walked it over towards the sidewalk moving each end about a foot at a time. Once I got it close enough I carried the one end around to turn it a quarter turn. This allowed me to get under it with my engine hoist on the cement and lift it with chains. Then move it in place and drop it down. And here it is.

5b04fa72380f8_2018-05-21Patio2.jpg.acf1728b296d57237658e11442e47de1.jpg

• Like 2

kwt
10 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

Thats a BEAST! 

My late father-in-law once told me that my Allis built T-16h wouldn't pull the 30x5 front porch and ceiling from my house after I pulled some nails. I told him to hold my beer and it came down with one big whooomph. Looks may deceive, but anything Sovereign and above is a beast.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

gwiseman
16 hours ago, Hick said:

Doing some renovation at work (a retirement community), replacing the patio. We had a 14' x 3" feed bunk for flowers...

What a great repurpose of a cattle feed bunk @Hick I've used them for several things but never thought of this. 

• Like 1

dince
2 hours ago, kwt said:

My late father-in-law once told me that my Allis built T-16h wouldn't pull the 30x5 front porch and ceiling from my house after I pulled some nails. I told him to hold my beer and it came down with one big whooomph. Looks may deceive, but anything Sovereign and above is a beast.

How many beers did it take to encourage you to bet you could pull the porch down!  Did it take long to re-erect it, for the next bet???LOL!

• Haha 1

kwt
21 minutes ago, dince said:

How many beers did it take to encourage you to bet you could pull the porch down!  Did it take long to re-erect it, for the next bet???LOL!

It took a while. It is a totally new porch of the same dimensions. The one thing I didn't think about was the front door knob. It went with the roof. No biggie because now there is a big set of french doors in it's place, but it was interesting none the less. Sheared clean.

Honestly, I figured on using the Homelite from the get go. It was only my father in law that thought I was crazy. Wife knew darn well the roof was coming down.

Edited by kwt
  • Like 1

MrSteele

Those front door knobs are a pain. When enough beer is consumed, they are hard to negotiate.(maybe cause wife has locked them) They need constant oiling every 10 years or so, or they get sticky and refuse to operate. A front door knob is simply too much maintenance. Hope you used a lever instead of a knob this time. But, even a lever set requires that ten yearly maintenance!