Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Free wheeling buttons

Bigstone

I have an Allis 712 that I purchased during the winter month and today I was checking the transmission fluid via the operators manual and when I was done one of the free wheeling buttons did not pop up.  Can I run  I run the Allis with only one button up?   Prior to me checking  the fluid the tractor delayed moving when the hydraulic lever was pushed forward or backwards.  Once it started to move it would go slow for a few seconds then it moved at normal speeds.  IS that a sign of issues to come?

I hope I did not buy trouble?

Dave 

The free wheel "buttons" can get sticky with age and dirt over time.

Did the buttons pop up after your drove it?

Spray some good penatrant stuff down the side of the pins and then try to push up and down to free them up.

It is possible to remove the bad one and spray and use a pin punch from the bottom to move the pin up into correct position.

Generally speaking the Sunstrand trans is very reliable given the correct filter, fluid, and correct amount of fluid.

You did lift up the vent pin when you were adding fluid, right ?

Greg

Greg,

Thanks for the reply.  I did raise the vent pin and I didn't need to add fluid. It was full.  I also sprayed WD40 on it but it still stayed down. I did as you said by removing the plug and taping the plunger back.

Thanks for that.  Any Idea on why the tractor doesn't move right away when I move the lever?

Dave