Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Blades falling off

mcd

I restored my tractor/deck back in the winter and every time I have cut so far this year I've had at least one blade come unbolted and fall off. Last year I might have had one blade come unbolted one time all summer but this is happening too often. All 3 have fallen off so I know it's not just a problem with one particular setup. Is it okay to use blue loctite on the bolt to keep it in?

• Like 1

Yes. I've done it. But are you sure you aren't missing one of the spring washers or something?  Also, check that your blades are balanced. Perhaps the bolts are vibrating loose due to excessive vibration. 

Edited by Angry Bear
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Angry Bear said:

Yes. I've done it. But are you sure you aren't missing one of the spring washers or something?  Also, check that your blades are balanced. Perhaps the bolts are vibrating loose due to excessive vibration. 

I rebalanced them when I did the restore and checked again when they fell off the first time (just a few weeks ago). Do you have a picture of the spring washer you're referring to?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mcd said:

I rebalanced them when I did the restore and checked again when they fell off the first time (just a few weeks ago). Do you have a picture of the spring washer you're referring to?

It's actually called a Belleville washer. I couldn't remember the term when I replied. It's hard to see in the pic, but it actually has a slight conical shape to it. I'm not saying yours is supposed to have it, but perhaps that's the problem. 

BB42814F-79A4-4720-B94A-FD05F715524C.jpeg

A9669AA0-1213-4714-B220-C6CB5ADDD2F7.jpeg

Looking at the parts diagram for your machine, (not sure which deck you have) it looks like it should have these washers. There should be a spline washer also. So, you should have your blade, then the spline washer, then the Belleville washer, then the bolt.   Torqued to 55 ft lbs. 

Spline washer  1656927SM $5.25

Spring washer (Belleville washer) 1656916SM $5.53

Parts and prices sourced from Partstree.com

2501E2D6-EF0D-4D6A-9C97-D6C99A975C96.jpeg

Spline washer:

A832B2E5-8FD4-4C00-B35D-89445340AD06.jpeg

Edited by Angry Bear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What about trying nyloc nuts?  They are commonly used here along with the Bellerville washers, although the ones we use here are much thinne, more like spring steel.

Make sure that the belleville (spring) washer is turned the correct way.  As shown on the picture the high center should be against the bolt head so that it is compressed when it is tightened, holding tension on the bolt.  

1 hour ago, dince said:

What about trying nyloc nuts?  They are commonly used here along with the Bellerville washers, although the ones we use here are much thinne, more like spring steel.

That won't work because his arbor doesn't have a threaded shaft sticking down. It's a threaded hole, so it'll require a bolt. Unless I'm misunderstanding you. 

• Like 1

First of all is this the single bolt or two bolt system?  If a two bolt, crank a jamb nut on the back side and you should be set.  If a single, add a good lock washer if need be.

Do you have a torque wrench?  It is amazing how sometimes you think you have it tight enough, but are not close.  Basically, we need to know what tractor/deck you have to know what you need for hardware.  With the correct hardware, you should not need loctite, and you should not need to add a nut to the backside of a 2 bolt arbor/blade if the other hardware is correct and torqued to spec.  Blades coming off is not cool - coming from someone that got hit by a blade that fell off someone else's tractor that I was 20 feet away from....... 

• Sad 1

Thanks for all of the replies. This is a single bolt system. I have 2 washers that go in between the blade and the bolt. One is a spline washer and the next one is very similar to the spline washer but doesn't have the star cutout. I know the second washer does not have the conical shape to it as mentioned above. It is almost entirely flat minus the slight rounded edge on one side (which I put face down). I will try to add a snap washer to see if that will keep things tight. Fortunately when the blades come off they seem to just drop out the bottom and don't go flying. 

2 hours ago, mcd said:

Thanks for all of the replies. This is a single bolt system. I have 2 washers that go in between the blade and the bolt. One is a spline washer and the next one is very similar to the spline washer but doesn't have the star cutout. I know the second washer does not have the conical shape to it as mentioned above. It is almost entirely flat minus the slight rounded edge on one side (which I put face down). I will try to add a snap washer to see if that will keep things tight. Fortunately when the blades come off they seem to just drop out the bottom and don't go flying. 

I'm thinking that maybe someone just put regular washers in there instead of the Belleville washers. You might want to try replacing those. 

• Like 2

On 5/24/2018 at 4:03 AM, fishnwiz said:

Sling blade ! Ooo, that must of hurt? >:(

I love biscuits & mustard

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2018 at 6:51 AM, mcd said:

I would replace those with new Bellville washers.  They do lose tension over time or are replaced with incorrect parts.  I never use a torque wrench & have never lost a blade.  

• 1 month later...