Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

DRay831

Simplicity 7016H Won't move

DRay831

I have just finished (I thought) 4 months refurbishing my Simplicity 7016H. It was dismantled, cleaned, sanded, painted, given new decals, and reassembled. I did not remove the hydrostatic drive, just pressure washed it, as it operated as designed. Did not need to be rebuilt. But after putting it all back together, the venerable B&G 16HP started right up, but the hydrostatic drive is not transferring power to the wheels.. The shafts out of the beveled gear box are turning, and the drive belt to the transaxle is turning, but no power forward or reverse. I have pulled and cleaned the switches on the free wheeling lever and topped up the fluid level with Dexron.

Any ideas as to what would happen with 4 months of inactivity that would cause this malfunction?

f.jpg

GardenTrACtorguy

Are the buttons that allow the tractor be pushed with out the engine running stuck?  I’ve had mine stick before.

DRay831

It free wheels easily. I pulled the pistons that hold the free wheeling buttons, soaked them in penetrating oil and shook the ball bearing and made sure the buttons moved easily.

SmilinSam

Pump shaft key sheared? Pump pully turning the pump shaft?

Does it move the wheels at all  if the rear of the tractor is blocked up off the ground? If it does then problem may be a sheared key in the differential, axle tube, or drive gears.

Just pitching ideas out from past experience....

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 1

Don Martin

I am sure I sheered off my axle key, well almost sure.  Is it difficult to pull the axle and put in a new key?  And do you know where I can find a acritical that explains how to do it or a video?  Thanks Much Don