Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

First cutting 2018

equipment guy

Although not Simplicity, or AC related, this old girl will make the springs first cut tomorrow. Serviced today, and running well for its 49th season. 

0AB55986-B25B-4315-B166-6828BA4ED86D.jpeg

Where are you located that you are just now doing your first cut of grass for this season. I just came in from cutting my lawn for the sixth time this year. I am in southern Ontario. And with a 53 year old original engine BigTen AC. to boot.

Wow, 6 cuttings ago was snow blowing here.  It's crazy, but I'm on the Massachusets / New Hampshire boarder. We are always 3 weeks to a month behind everywhere else, North or South.  Very rare to mow much before Memorial Day.  Not saying it couldnt have used a touch up last week, but it was very spotty.  Now it is starting to fill in more.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, B10Dave said:

Where are you located that you are just now doing your first cut of grass for this season. I just came in from cutting my lawn for the sixth time this year. I am in southern Ontario. And with a 53 year old original engine BigTen AC. to boot.

I just came in from cutting my 5th time this week!>:(

• Haha 1

I have been having to mow twice a week since I started mowing back in April here in Ohio.

Even the years with a mild winter, mid May is about the earliest for mowing here.  5 months mowing, 1 month raking leaves. 5 months snowblowing, 1 month waiting for it to melt, and dry out. Then start over...   LOL

• Like 2

I've mowed three times in mid coast Maine. The first time really shouldn't count as less than half of it was high enough to cut.

I am serious. ..I cut 2 days ago and just cut again today...Way too much cutting for my liking. 

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Like 1

Wow!  I've never had to do that. Once a week, usually every other week starting in late August.

12 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

I am serious. ..I cut 2 days ago and just cut again today...Way too much cutting for my liking. 

My neighbor has been mowing every 2-3 days for weeks now. He had it treated last year by some company. Now he says he wish he hadn't. xD

I'm mowing about every 4 days, but it probably should be every 3. 

• Haha 1

Wow, was never tempted to fertilize a lawn. If it wont thrive on neglect there is something wrong.

• Confused 1

I look at multiple weekly mowing as a good thing:

More seat time and no grass raking.

sm01

• Like 1

I mowed Thursday, and returned home from camping yesterday morning...I had to dump the triple bagger twice with the deck on the highest setting.  Part of my lawn, I seriously considered using the sickle on. 

• Like 1

Of course my first mowing was this past saturday, and by the looks of it at this point, I will probably not have to mow this coming weekend. That I do find strange. However, the weather has not really warmed the ground up yet. We have had a few nice days, but it is supposed to be in the 50's durring the day at least through the middle of next week. All in all, not too bad considering there was still snow in spots, 3 weeks ago.

I have a great solution for all you folk bogged down with mowing grass (and not the ones just itching to get their tractors out!).  Here, we have quite a few million sheep, desperate for a good feed!  And, as many kangaroos, eating us out of house and home! 

All is not bad.... there is a big research project on here, trying to crossbreed sheep with kangaroos. - hopefully the outcome will be woolly jumpers (sweaters)!

PS: I hope I haven’t told that story  on here before!!!  Lloyd will soon enough let me know!

Edited by dince
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, fishnwiz said:

Wooly jumpers....sounds itchy to me!O.o

Yeah, but they're warm even when wet. 4i

• Like 1
  • Haha 1