Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

OK, let's try this again... another preview

Kent

Not sure if this is where you want commends about rev 2 of the new messageboard. To me, the new rev seems very busy, with an almost overwhelming amount of content to try to take in. Looking at the basic Snitz messageboard, their setup seems like it would be simpler and more user friendly. I haven't read up on the suggestions folks have though, so I'm not sure what is trying to be accomplished by the new revision. A stripped down version of rev 2 would be easier for most users to use I think. Running WinXP with IE6, the pages all load fine and quick (dual PIII 800mhz, 512MB RAM, 1.5mbit DSL), but IE indicates some errors on the pages.

Kent one problem i found the page is about 2in. to wide have to keep useing the slider bar at the bottom to be able to read a sentence this and a $1 might get you a small coffee. Maynard aka/UCD

I hope you guys realize that I don't mind the separations as a method to organize the subject matter into help requests and general tractor talk. Backtracking at this point may be too much work... I hope my two suggestions are looked at equally concerning the separations. I'm alright with the non-tractor separation even though I was against it in the past with the "NT" debate...Woody

What if you still had the 2 categories for tractor help and general tractor topics look as they are in the new clubhouse but you end up in one contiguous message area, less the non-tractor topics, with special labels on the looking for help message or maybe a different font color?? If someone is looking for help they have to hope everyone looks in the tractor help area specifically with the intention of helping others. In the current format the looking for help message sparks a response automatically from someone with the knowledge to help. Almost as if the group was standing around at a club meeting discussing whatever and a person walks in with a problem. Then everyone turns his attention to that individual..???Woody

Thanks guys! This is the kind of feedback I needed. I'll have to find and fix the width problem. I've got a table or cell that's forcing the page that wide....

I've gotten it debugged to where it will work in Netscape V6.22. It will NOT run in Netscape V4.7 -- it'll lock up... so those of you running older versions will need to upgrade. Sorry! There's still one minor error to correct in the HTML, but it'll work...I've also tweaked the navigation, font size, etc. Please see how this works for you... I need help in debugging/refining it before we load the full database to test it. Again, you can register for yourself, or use Username "test" and Password "test"... Let me know what you find. You can use the forum in the new version, and it'll get cleaned up when we load data... Thanks! Kent [A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_content.asp']http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_content.asp[/a]

The reason I separated the tractor problem requests from the other tractor messages was to make it easier to find help, not make it harder... don't know if it will work, or not... But, I think it would be nice to have the problem >> solution stuff separate from general tractor talk if you're the one with the problem and it keeps scrolling off the page (remember those complaints?) ... Using the Search function only goes so far when trying to find an answer, and I thought one place for "Frequently Asked Questions" about tractor problems would be helpful .... I can pick which forums to archive and which ones not to. Merging them back won't be any trouble now -- later it might be. Similarly, trying to get almost 7000 messages into the right category isn't really feasible. The "NT" messages that are marked should be pretty easy to find, and put in the Coffee Shop, but the rest will all go into one "catchall" like the General Tractor Talk category... I think I'll put a poll up in the new clubhouse to ask opinions.... As far as trying to "consolidate things", I'm thinking of rearranging the Home page to move the recent messages above the links stuff, and showing a longer list of the recent messages (doen't include recent though, I don't think). This would be a good starting point, so you could easily see what's been posted lately (including a few words of the message) and avoid having to click into individual forums... How does that sound?

BenB -- what version of Explorer are you using? Where are you getting the errors? I know there's errors in the HTML that I'm trying to track down, but I wasn't aware of script errors...

Netscape 6.22, Sidebar is pushing page over. Press F9 and your sidebar will minimize and the width will work. It will toggle on with F9 too. Woody

I was thinking the line "Welcome to the club" looks wimpy or maybe it could be centered and bold on the logo?...Woody

My opinion about the posting areas: In the current clubhouse we had the "conflicts" concerning topics about tractor and non-tractor being mixed together. Both sides have valid arguments concerning "NT". So the new clubhouse addresses that problem, however there are at least three areas a member would have to search for interaction with other members. For me it's like seeing only part of the individual's personality. Maybe if there were just two areas of discussion I would feel more comfortable and it would decrease the number of jumps necessary during each visit. I feel like there is no "homebase" to find everyone...Woody

I think that when the old messages are brought over categorizing them may be impractical because of the inconsitent labeling . By keeping your format as is for new entries eventually the old way of doing things would be fazed out because the entries could be filtered by the new forum categories. Is a different font color in the subject line for each category impractical or too much work to implement? A combined listing with a different color for help requests would draw attention away from the general tractor discussions to those needing help. I think a longer listing of the recent messages would look more like the old clubhouse and help ease the transition to something new...Woody

Click on home click on active users it tell you who is on line click on there nick click on pm and you can talk to them this thing even talks to you tells you you have a private msg This and a $1 will get you a small coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Kent, I got the script error message when going into the resource links to the Agco-Allis and Simp dealers area. Navigated for a while and ony problems I came up with-- sizing of the pages and i thought that the sidemenu was "skittish"-- anywhere close to it the menu popped in also sizing? All in all a BEAUTIFUL job and is definately going to have more features once we all get used to it Do like the ide of being able to import into the classifieds or messages for that matter an easy way to get pictures in

Dutch, I'm amazed things are working so well, after seeing your equipment and software listing...I'm thinking of finding an old machine and try this out. I have customers old machines stacked up like cordwood. Might be able to find one with your specs....Woody

So which is the best plug-in to download, quick time or Maczilla? Why is the print so small and hard to read? I know my eyes ain't what they used to be but they ain't that bad...MPH

OK, I found the cell causing the "size" problem and fixed it. I also changed the layout of Home page to now show snippets of the last 10 messages. See if this works better for a "starting point" -- that's why it's called the Home Page after all... :<) Woody, I'd have to actually tweak change the base Snitz code to change the headings on the messages based upon which forum they were in... I'm reluctant to do that, for several reasons, including upgrade problems.[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_content.asp']http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_content.asp[/a]

Woody, I spent all my BIG bucks and many, many, debugging hours on the PC, XT, AT, 386, 486 stuff back in the '80s. This old "doorstop" has been debugged for years, and as long as it ain't broke................ Kent, Separate forums is a great idea, except it probably won't work without a "heavy handed" moderator. This club reminds me of a family get-together.

KENT: I like the dealer locator but like the club the way it is. some of the new stuff is ok but i would like to see you keep it the way it is and just add the dealer locator and some of the other stuff to the format that you have now.it looks like the other tractor club format and i dont care for it to much as much as the way you have it now. agco918 chad e shafer