Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
braddster

B-10 Red (Not Yellow???) Model

braddster

Family had a A/C Big 10 yellow bought new in 1964 and was a great tractor. When my father passed my brother gave it away 2 years ago. I'm looking at a local one for sale that the name plate says B-10 made in Wisconsin, round top hood but the entire tractor and mower are RED???? I looked all over this site and other resources including the unofficial history to figure out what i'm looking at. Looks almost identical from my memory. Any info would be appreciated. Probably purchase either way tomorrow.

New lawn tractors are worthless. This site seems to be a great resource if I purchase. Have some local resources for restoration effort. BTW in 1980 my fathers' neighborhood had a lawn tractor race and out of 14 tractors the Big 10 won (I have the trophy the neighbor made for it still). It was that 3rd gear start that did it. Another 20 feet and he would have lost to faster but slow starter tractors :)

• Thanks 1

MikeES

My guess is that it has been repainted, if is labeled/tagged as a B10, originally it would have been yellow.  The Simplicity version of that tractor would have been a sort of red.

Talntedmrgreen

Welcome aboard!

Definitely a repainted tractor...red was never used on these.  But, that often helps folks get into them cheaper!

LMichaels
On 5/30/2018 at 12:39 PM, braddster said:

Family had a A/C Big 10 yellow bought new in 1964 and was a great tractor. When my father passed my brother gave it away 2 years ago. I'm looking at a local one for sale that the name plate says B-10 made in Wisconsin, round top hood but the entire tractor and mower are RED???? I looked all over this site and other resources including the unofficial history to figure out what i'm looking at. Looks almost identical from my memory. Any info would be appreciated. Probably purchase either way tomorrow.

New lawn tractors are worthless. This site seems to be a great resource if I purchase. Have some local resources for restoration effort. BTW in 1980 my fathers' neighborhood had a lawn tractor race and out of 14 tractors the Big 10 won (I have the trophy the neighbor made for it still). It was that 3rd gear start that did it. Another 20 feet and he would have lost to faster but slow starter tractors :)

What a coincidence. The old B10 I sold recently was a repaint to red. When I bought it I did a total frame up restoration on it. Rebuilt the bevel gear box, replaced the original badly abused 10 hp Briggs with a brand new 16 hp Briggs IC, rebuilt the deck and it turned out to be a really nice tractor. Served me well for 28 years. Intended to get something smaller since I did not do any more "heavy" work like tilling, snow plowing or blowing or grading. So I found a Kubota T1600HST 2 cyl diesel lawn tractor. The guy had a big John Deere with front end loader on order so I told him when it was done I would buy the machine. But, my research into it showed they were prone to 2 major failures. One the hydrostatic unit. Prone to front bearing failure $1500 repair and 2 the gear box and drive shaft on the mower deck which typically ran about $700 to repair. Well, my friend was looking at Craigslist and saw this Simplicity Sovereign which had originally had a Triad engine that blew up and the dealer servicing it replaced it with a Kohler Command Pro 20. The price was still more than would have paid for the Kubota but I went and looked at it and so the guy was able to take the same price so the Simplicity came home with me instead.  The first photo is the Allis I had and the second is what I came home with. In some ways I am sorry I didn't get the Kubota because it was much easier to handle. Foot control, smaller, quicker steering and such but I do like the Simplicity simply because it is familiar technology to me (other than the hydro) but the local dealer assured me they have never seen one fail and that they are very rugged and durable. I do kinda miss the hefty "chug" from that big one lung engine and miss actual "gears" but overall I think it was a good purchase and much simpler for me to get service parts for. Cheaper to service too than the Kubota. Though I really would have liked that diesel. Well anyway there is an example of a red B10

20180601_111033.jpg

32789827_806878136171886_3472185852828844032_n.jpg

• Like 1

fishnwiz

I have to say NEVER saw one painted red but it's not half bad. You can see the transformation into the future of Simplicity lineage. 

LMichaels

Yep, I loved that old tractor. If you look at the engine you'll understand why I went "red". I simply wanted to match the rest of the tractor to the engine. So I found that IH red was a perfect match

• Like 2

ShaunE
21 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

I have to say NEVER saw one painted red but it's not half bad. You can see the transformation into the future of Simplicity lineage. 

Not bad at all.  I despise the color yellow to the point I have & will never own a Mustard Bucket Ski-Doo snowmobile or a DeWalt tool.  I have restored two B-Series Allis movers for my Dad in the early 2000's & almost painted them both Persian-2.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

fishnwiz

LMAO....O.o

Obviously you don't take mustard on your dog? 

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

wwbragg
22 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

NEVER saw one painted red

I have a 3112H that is the traditional orange.  But I also have a 3112V that is RED.  Go figure.

ShaunE
8 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

LMAO....O.o

Obviously you don't take mustard on you dog? 

Love it! Especially mixed with Ketchup! Because then it's orange!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

brokenwrench

ok some die hard famall fans repainted their lawn tractors farmall colors.. the AC dealer i worked for repainted used B series tractors trade ins  AC orange because the yellow was harder to get and original AC brand paint was cheaper. i prepared many tractors of all sizes to be repainted.

• Haha 1