Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3416 H BGB Setup questions

Horvik

Hello;

I plan on installing new bevel gears in to replace the damaged ones I currently have.

Question is, how do you setup up the shims on the right side of the case? Cannot find much information on that.

Would really appreciate detailed information on that deal.

Thanks

Here's a "factory" video about BGB rebuild:

https://simpletractors.com/videos/view-64-simplicity-service-video-power-steering-rotary-valve-and-bevel-gear-box/

Shims on outside are easy as long as you have enough of the thin ones; usually only 1 thick one is required.  With the new seal, there's a ring that's installed to hold the seal edges away from the case bottom (old seals had long sides and bottomed out on the case, no ring required).  First install the ring, then the seal and drive it in as far as it will go.  Then make up a shim stack such that the outermost shim is flush with the case face.  Use some grease to hold the shims in place when bolting the side plate and BGB together.

PhanDad;

Thanks for the super video.

Where do you go to purchase the bevel gear set and assorted parts?

All the best

13 hours ago, Horvik said:

Where do you go to purchase the bevel gear set and assorted parts?

Local Simplicity Dealer, Sandy Lake or other advertiser, online parts supplier.

BUT the main parts (gears & shafts) are very expensive new.  It's usually a much better deal to get a good used gearbox and replace the bearings/seals and then install.  

If you buy used, make sure you see pics of the internals of the box and if possible, a video showing the backlash(?) - the amount of turn of the input shaft before the output shaft starts to rotate - there should be very little.

And there's still a whole assembled new BGB available from Simplicity, part #1606207SM, Jack's price is  $779.40; SLE Equipment $672.50.

If you have to replace all parts at OEM prices, the whole gearbox is an OK deal and you get a new case as a bonus.  

PhanDad;

Very much appreciate the information. I have opened up the bad box, and yep, got chewed up teeth (2-3) on both bevel gears.

I have another  used BGB I will have to check out for wear on the gears and other internals, perhaps I can use parts from it as you suggest.

Thanks