Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Green tractor problems

Gdub

I hope they don't kick me out for asking for some help with a John Deere 265 pto switch?

My neighbor has a 1990 265 John Deere he put a new pto switch in but he didn't pat attention to the wiring position on the switch so he brought it to me to fix but I can't seem to find a clear wiring schematic showing the proper location.

Thanks in advance 

20180430_102928.jpg

I don't have any advise with this problem, but nobody's ever talked about kicking Hick out and his avatar photo has twice as many Deeres as Simp-A/Cs. 666 Good luck.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

This is from a internet search. Shows 2 blue wires , a yellow/blackstripe, and purple/white stripe wires into/out of the switch.

If I read this diagram right, the correct switch should have 4 tabs. Each pair makes a separate circuit. Purple and yellow makes one circuit and the 2 blues make the other. Might have to use a meter to see which tabs have continuity one to the other when the switch is on to determine which tabs are paired together. At least thats how I would do it.

If his switch has 5 tabs, I dont know what to tell you.

I'm guessing that in the "OFF" position one pair of tabs will be connected and one pair unconnected. The connected ones in the off position would likely be the starting circuit( purple and yellow).

In the "ON" position that circuit would be unconnected and the other would be connected. That connected one would be the pto circuit. (blue wires)

Hopefully someone else will chime in and back me up or correct me....

2010-08-26_234653_John_Deere_260-265.JPG

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe Sam's got it right.  Since switch contacts are usually on the sides, I believe the wire pairs are installed correctly (although the toggle direction might be reversed if it's labeled).

However, I see a "PTO relay" in the circuit diagram.  Also an "ignition relay" that connects to the "PTO relay".  So although you didn't stated why the PTO switch was changed, I'm guessing the problem isn't the PTO switch.  If you test the new switch contacts as Sam suggests, and the switch is OK, then there's another issue.  With the wiring diagram and volt meter, you'll have to figure out where the problem is.

• Thanks 1

I put the wires on the corresponding tabs waiting for the battery to charge then I  will test.

I took the pto off disassemble it and cleaned it. Seems to respond better at least on the bench