Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Karl_Brandt

Time to trade in my 710

Karl_Brandt
Well the ashtrays are full and NOW my right headlight burned out on my 1979 AC 710 tractor. Bummer. It has been almost 20 years to the day since it was delivered new.
Now I must go thru the agonizing decision as whether to fix it or trade it. It doesn't have a scratch on it .... but now I can only run at night like a one-eyed bandit.
What should I do? What should I do?
Isn't there anything made of quality anymore?

Tuffy

Fred
Tuffy, I can't believe that you would even consider trading it in. I think you are at least two tractros short of a full load. Keep the 710, buy a headlight and while you are at the dealer buy a new (or used) AC tractor (he probably wouldn't have given you much for the 710 anyway). Having two tractors will help you achieve more balance and harmony in your life (or garage anyway).

I have 5 tractors and I still haven't achieved CARMA but I get closer with each tractor.
MS

AdamF
Tuffy, I agree with Mike keep your 710,buy a new light,take a GOOD STIFF drink and go to a dealer and see what used AC or Sim. units cost! [sorry Jeff!]Then take another GOOD STIFF drink and ask how much a new one would cost to replace the 710!?[and I'm not talking about any lawn tractors either!]Then have someone drive you home...we don't want you getting into trouble with the police now do we!? Check this site's classifieds--there's plenty there to pick from[Esp. that guy Dave C. he's got some good deals in there!]Happy Shopping! dlc

AdamF
Ah every now and then I just start thinking stupid things,well ok most of the time. But one thing I sure can think clear about is "my tractor" get it "my tractor" its paid for. Sure it needs a little touchen up-alright a paint job ok but its "my tractor". Sure I could put a third headlight on it incase one burned out,ok so I do have a third headlight its just on the back of "my tractor". It might be 35 years old, alright so it is but its "my tractor". Am I making any sence here??? And I don't even need a stiff drink either,just thinking about "my tractor" makes me wish I could go out and buy another one just like it, but I can't so I will keep "my tractor" and go out sometime and buy another used one just to keep "my tractor" company. You know you could do "your tractor" a favor and do the same. Ok where's that drink, you all need probably need one about now.->jackl<->happyjack<-

tej
Well that was an interesting exchange. It is clear what I must do!
I'll buy that new headlight; buy another tractor with what I would have saved trading for a newer one; have a stiff drink (or two); and continue my search for more "toys" ... I mean implements/accessories.
Who needs lights anyway?
My headlight did not make the 26 year belt record but 20 years is not bad for a headlight.
I wish my cars/trucks held together as well as my AC.

Tuffy