Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Late model CI Briggs charging system swap?

SmilinSam

Got a 16hp Briggs with the flywheel alternator chargings sysetm and flywheel starter. Right now it has a alternator with an unregulated charging circuit and a separate light circuit.

large.DSCN1597.JPG.36f0cc762019d400aad02

The flywheel has twelve magnets on it..:

large.DSCN1594.JPG.692cd92086702622f3ec6

I also have a intex twin sitting here for junk. The alternator rings are exactly the same dimensions. The one in the intek has  a regulated charging circuit wth a separate external mounted regulator. I would like to install this in the cast iron Briggs.

The Intek flywheel also has 12 magnets. Though they are just slightly longer than the ones in the CI 16...

large.DSCN1593.JPG.566f9b9f3815658affe6d

Since they both use 12 magnets, is the swap possible?  Or does the slightly longer magnets make a difference?

I don't know for sure, but I'd say go for it.

The Briggs Service Manual for Out of Production Engines 1919 - 1981 states (on page 72, Section 7):

"Alternator output (10 or 16 Amp) is determined by flywheel alternator magnet size.  Therefore, stator and regulator-rectifier are the same for the 10 and 16 amp system."  

I've thought about doing the same to the Briggs in my 7016H, but I've never been into the engine to see the magnets.

If you try it, let us know how it works.

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan. Will be a few days as the pan gasket is leaking bad in one spot, so I have to procure a new gasket and put it in. At least I hope its the pan gasket and not something worse.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on this.  I have the same 16hp Briggs on a shelf, been saving it for a project.  I actually installed a new unregulated stator in it before putting it up.   Any chance you could post a picture of the stator and regulator for us?    Might even be a good tech article.

With a 3 amp circuit and nighttime snowblowing you can't run incandescent headlights and a rear worklight at the same time; they shine like candles.

• 2 weeks later...

The stator and regulator I used from the Twin is a 5 or 9 amp charging system depending on magnet size.

Installed it last wekend and got the tractor up and running the other day. The ammeter is showing around 8 amps on the guage(if the gauge is right) Charge drops off as the battery recovers, so I would say the system is working.

What I dont know is if the just slightly smaller magnets in the cast iron single qualifies as the smaller magnets referenced in the  Briggs literature or not. That the system is putting out close to the 9 amps called for with the bigger magnets would suggest that these magnets are not considered the small ones. Dont know....

When I turn on the head  lights now the ammeter drops back to just above zero. Thats using 4  - 25 watt bulbs.

It does work to charge the battery though, which is what matters to me.

I was under the impression that the number of windings had more of a bearing on output than the magnet size. What do I know.