Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

wwbragg

Can't beat the price

wwbragg

A friend ran out of time and patience and gave me (free for nothin') this Wards 16 variable drive tractor which was made by Gilson in the early 70's.  I can't find any (None - Zip - nada) numbers on it or the cast iron Briggs motor.  My initial research shows that the manuals are worth almost as much as the tractors and parts are rare but hey - cover me I'm goin' in.  She needs a lot of work but Gilson was notorious for building really tough units.  I'll start by sand blasting the whole thing, inside and out.  The fenders and dash tower will need some fiberglass to replace rusted out areas.  I'm not real dedicated to accurate paint coloring but I have several rattle cans of Kuboda Orange so she may end up looking more like a Simplicity - - -we'll see how that goes.

DSCF0510.JPG

DSCF0511.JPG

DSCF0512.JPG

DSCF0508.JPG

DSCF0509.JPG

Edited by wwbragg
added comment
  • Like 1

fishnwiz

Fingers crossed...your a bigger man than me when it comes to that project. Looking forward to the resurrection of that rare Wards. Good luck! 

SmilinSam

Had a variable and a hydro  pass through here for parts at one time of another. Also had one that ran and had a snowblade.They are built like tanks.

The Briggs I'm working on right now came out of one too.

They also made a ton of attachments for them too. I once had a compost grinder for one.

Edited by SmilinSam

wwbragg

GTalk is a forum dedicated to Gilson tractors but I am having trouble signing in.  Is anyone here also a member of GTalk?  

wwbragg

Weird - - - The front axel of the Wards/Gilson tractor is attached to the bottom of the oil pan.  The oil pan is bolted to  the frame.  Then, a 1" pin goes through the front oil pan tab, through the front axel and again through the rear tab of the oil pan.  This is the only attachment.  The picture below is upside down to show the tabs.  If I decide to repower, (my first preference) I'll have to redesign the front end.

oil pan.jpg

Alltractoredup

I have 4 of these older Gilson/ Montgomery Wards tractors.  I love them almost as much as my Allis  and Simplicity large frames.  They are a pain to work on but solid tractors.  If you need copies of parts and owners manuals I can email them to you.  What you have is around a 1975 model.  Variable speed is pretty cool to use.

If you have any question let me know.  I know a guy who has decals for that model too.

• Like 1

wwbragg
2 hours ago, B-16_IC said:

Did it come with the pto pulleys

I think so.  It was disassembled when I got it but I think it is still there.

Do you recommend rebuilding the original one-lunger or get a new Vanguard?

Edited by wwbragg
Expand

B-16_IC

I don't think a vanguard would accept the oil pan. If the original engine is toast any cast iron single Briggs from 10hp to 16hp will fit that pan. 

• Thanks 1

Chris727
2 hours ago, B-16_IC said:

I don't think a vanguard would accept the oil pan. If the original engine is toast any cast iron single Briggs from 10hp to 16hp will fit that pan. 

If it has a dipstick yes. Many of the Briggs had the oil fill location on the pan itself. It can still be worked around by drilling and tapping the block for a filler pipe and dipstick. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1