Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tiller question

Manty

Just put a 36" (990694) tiller on my B112 and went to test it out and everything was working great except when I pushed in the clutch, the tractor wouldn't stop - the only way I could get it to stop was to disengage the tiller.  I tried adjusting the clutch, but it still did the same thing...  Any idea what could be happening?  It has always worked fine with my other implements - snowthrower, grader, etc

What you have experienced I think was called a tiller ride.

Clutch only disengages belt from BGB to trans.

Tiller drives off the other side of the BGB from Trans drive right?

Pretty sure you either have to lift tiller out of ground to turn, or disengage tiller, then lift and turn.

Been there done that.

Wait, what?  This is a normal occurrence and I can't engage the clutch to stop while tilling?  It is a really wild/scary ride when your not expecting it!!

Yuupp, it is scary, that's why it called a tiller ride.

Look at the belts and where they drive from for the trans and the tiller.

The tractor clutch only stops the tractor, the "live" PTO for the tiller needs to be stopped on its own.

So yes it is "normal"......... learn to lift the tiller up at the end of the pass, turn the tractor lower the tiller.

Anyone else care to add to the discussion??

• Like 1

You also should not turn with the tiller in the ground, I had to weld up a friends tiller hitch he broke while turning.  He though he could just go around and around like mowing grass.