Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7116 remote hydro filter ?

pratherae

Hello

I have recently acquired a 7116 with what i believe is a sundstrand hydro. It has the filter on the left side above the axle. I also got a allis chalmers 914 i believe but it is the same model as mine. problem i have is mounting the tiller from the allis on the 7116 with out the remote filter. Allis has remote filter but there is a plug in the 7116 that stops the hydro oil from flowing down with the plate and bolt in place of the filter. I cannot remove the hydro hose fitting under the filter and looks like i have to remove the hydro from tractor. Am i missing something. I have read all the forums on idler pullys and short filters and i do not think this will work without a remote filter.

Andy

Are you worried about the tiller belt rubbing on the hydro filter?  There is an optional idler pulley to guide the belt up and over the filter...or just worm gear clamp a piece of sheet metal over the filter so the belt does not wear through it.

yes worried on rubbing. I think the tiller is for an earlier model. Since i have a remote filter on the spare tractor i would like to add it. Not just for tiller but tire chains are real close with the large filter.

I might add that with the pulleys i have with the tiller the idler pulley goes right where the hydro filter is.

Even with the LH side plate mounted pulley, I have seen evidence where the tiller drive belt has rubbed on the top side of the hydro filter. I have installed a hose clamp on the hydro filter.

8 hours ago, pratherae said:

I might add that with the pulleys i have with the tiller the idler pulley goes right where the hydro filter is.

The only way thats possible is if you are using a tiller not made to use on your tractor, IE trying to run a older 32" tiller made for a B series style tractor. All the 36" tillers made with the correct  2 small idlers work on your tractor and are no where near in the way of the filter when mounted.

As to the belt rubbing the filter with the extra idler mounted on the left side frame plate, I have run this type of setup on the same type tractors for years and all I ever saw was some of the paint rubbed off the filters. I dont think theres much there to worry about when using the correct tiller and all the factory parts made for the system.

As to the tire chains rubbing the long filter, well you need to use the correct short filter. Doing so should give the proper clearance, unless you have the wrong wheels on the tractor. I've seen that done too.

Edited by SmilinSam

15 hours ago, pratherae said:

Allis has remote filter but there is a plug in the 7116 that stops the hydro oil from flowing down with the plate and bolt in place of the filter. I cannot remove the hydro hose fitting under the filter and looks like i have to remove the hydro from tractor. Am i missing something

Here's a post with some info that may help:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/58385-filter-position-swap-on-a-sundstrand-update-and-pics/

After studying the repair manual i decided to remove the hydro to find the plug. I was intimidated by this but after studying the repair manual i decided it was no hill for a climber. With the hydro out and the return line fitting directly under the filter removed i could see the plug. I was able to use a punch and remove the plug that forced the fluid through the side mounted filter. I can now use the remote filter. Whether the tiller i have will work is to be seen but I believe the remote filter is an upgrade never the less.

Keep in mind that you need to block the one half of the flow through the old filter position.  This was done with the gasket under the cover plate.  Without that, you will not get much filtering.