Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Onan CCK Engine Hours

SimpleOrange

Had a curious thought on how many hours a person could get out of an Onan CCK engine, read over on Smokstak in the Arcs and Sparks thread that it was not uncommon for the 4000 watt generator equipped with the CCK to reach 10,0000 hours before needing its first overhaul.

Of course these gen sets only run at 1800 rpm so this would account for the longevity.

In my search for a good replacement engine for my 9020 had purchased an older Onan gen set had to disassemble the block to swap put the crankshaft, what was amazing is the block had absolutely no signs of wear. Even the valve guides were within spec, the bearing shells looked and measured out as new.

The engine from the 9020 was seized through ignorance and leaving it open to the weather.

Gasoline had seeped through a bad fuel pump diaphragm diluting the oil turning the engine into a fogger.

For some simple maths with some speculation, let us assume that our tractors from birth back in 1975  averaged one hour a day over the past 43 years that's a total of 15,695 days for an hour a day at 3600 RPM. I have not factored in leap years.

I love my Onan's

• Like 2

I am pleased with the Onan in my 9020 as well but wish it had a bit more power, hence why I'm thinking about an Onan Performer 24 if it will be a drop in fit. The CCKB sure is a nice running and sounding engine.

Careful what you wish for, the later production Onan's ride on the famous cast iron line of yesteryear. 

The cast iron CCKB engines used a forged steel connecting rod with bearing inserts that are available in std, 0.010, 0.020 and 0.030

The later production aluminium blocks use an aluminium connecting rod, if you have your crankshaft ground under size. You can not simply purchase oversized shells. you have to purchase an over sized connecting rod.

Top connecting rod is from the older CCKB Onan, below is the new aluminium style.

The aluminium connecting rod does not use bearing shell inserts..

1cc.png

2cc.png

Edited by SimpleOrange