Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Triad 16hp Valve cover

jyardog

Hi guys, new here.  I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a replacement fuel pump side valve cover for a Triad 16hp.  Mine was overtightened and broken.  Thanks in advance!

For a triad it would be nesrly impossible.  Use one of the new style pulse fuel pumps that uses engine vacuum

8 hours ago, jyardog said:

Hi guys, new here.  I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a replacement fuel pump side valve cover for a Triad 16hp.  Mine was overtightened and broken.  Thanks in advance!

That part is NLA & hasn't been for quit a few years.  My advice is to remove the cover then remove the pump from the cover, then make a block off plate out of 1/4" aluminum.  Then drill a hole & tap for 1/8" pipe & add a 90 degree barb fitting & add an impulse fuel pump.  When re-installing the cover, use Permatex Ultra-Black on both surfaces & hand tighten the bolts.  Let it set for 24 hours & then torque to the 30 inch pounds it calls for.  It won't leak or warp after you remove the pump.

Triad Fuel Pump.JPG

Triad Air Cleaner.JPG

• Like 2

Are you looking for the rocker (valve) cover that the fuel pump screws into or the fuel pump. They are both definitely hard to come buy. That cover is the #1 rocker/ valve cover, the one with oil fill cap is the #2 cover. I think they both fit the TH16 and the TH18.

23 hours ago, ShaunE said:

That part is NLA & hasn't been for quit a few years.  My advice is to remove the cover then remove the pump from the cover, then make a block off plate out of 1/4" aluminum.  Then drill a hole & tap for 1/8" pipe & add a 90 degree barb fitting & add an impulse fuel pump.  When re-installing the cover, use Permatex Ultra-Black on both surfaces & hand tighten the bolts.  Let it set for 24 hours & then torque to the 30 inch pounds it calls for.  It won't leak or warp after you remove the pump.

Triad Fuel Pump.JPG

Triad Air Cleaner.JPG

Very pretty engine. ..I love it.

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Thanks 1

Mine is broken in pieces on the right lower corner where it was overtightened.   The previous owner then attempted to reassembly the pieces and epoxy it all together.  Needless to say it leaks like a sieve.  Being there is nothing available for replacement, looks like I'll be fabricating a sheet metal cover.  I'll use a Mikuni snowmobile pulse fuel pump.  Easy to install and dead reliable.  

Start calling the Simplicity dealers in your area.  There are a lot of salvageable used parts off these engines still floating around at older dealerships.

I have no doubt you could find a decent used one.  I bought an NOS one a couple months ago.  But you have to take the time & make phone calls to find this old stuff.  There have been a lot of people that have replaced the pump with electric & left the original one in place.  That doesn't stop the pressure in the inside of the cover from the mechanical pump.  Agreed 100% on the impulse.  With the removal of the mechanical pump, you have the perfect place to obtain your crankcase pressure.  The Mikuni DF-52 pulse pump used on the Kohler Commands has an aluminum housing.  Mikuni does not offer a rebuild kit for this pump but Winderosa does.  I have the Mikuni plastic throw-away version on my Triad but have since located some of the aluminum variants.

If you search this site you will find many posts that are specifically for correcting flaws in the Triad engines.  There are plenty but all most are correctable with little $.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...