Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

differential question

D600

I just brought a pair of Allis tractors home, a Big Ten and a B-110. The B-110 won't roll, the wheels only rotate in opposite directions. The shifter seems to move freely, could it be stuck in gear?

PTDC0019.JPG

I do not own a B-110 but here are a few things that could go wrong with any differential.

Rear wheels on a non limited slip differential when off the ground and turned by hand opposite direction is normal, also indicates there's no problem with the spider gears could have pinion gear failure or a seized bearing..

Shifter moving freely don't tell me anything, the shifter fork could be broken or badly worn. It's possible your transmission has shifted partially between two gears thus locking it up.

When you shift gears are you able to hear or feel the gears selected slide on their shafts, if your hearing impaired a mechanics stethoscope does wonders in detecting low level sounds..

Consumer grade tractor, the transaxle probably has straight cut gears with a non synchronised transmission.

If the transmission were coupled to a hydrostatic drive you would look there for a potential problem.

Edited by SimpleOrange
  • Like 1

If the wheels are rotating in oposite directions, then it would appear as though the differential is working.  The fact it won't roll would appear to be that it is locked in gear, or there are other internal issues that have the drive gear locked.  If the differential was bad, the wheels would not turn in oposite directions.  Either only one might turn, or they would both turn the same direction, assuming the trans was not locked up.

9 minutes ago, Brettw said:

If the wheels are rotating in oposite directions, then it would appear as though the differential is working.  The fact it won't roll would appear to be that it is locked in gear, or there are other internal issues that have the drive gear locked.  If the differential was bad, the wheels would not turn in oposite directions.  Either only one might turn, or they would both turn the same direction, assuming the trans was not locked up.

Once jacked off the ground wedge a block under one wheel to keep it form turning then turn the other while the transmission is in neutral.

This at least will tell him that the input shaft is turning, if the wheel wont turn try rocking it back and forth in hopes of dislodging a broken gear tooth or something jammed inside a bearing race.

Still not a fix.

Make sure the parking brake drum  isn't stuck on or applied. I had that happen once. Chased everything before I found it

Also lift the rear off the ground and turn the transmission pulley by hand  and see if the wheels turn. That will help find transaxle issues.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ShaunE said:

I used a long 3/16" allen wrench for this....it was easier to "feel" and grab the shifter forks. Mine was stuck in 3rd.

Thanks, I played around with it this morning with the engine unbolted from the driveshaft. I rotated the driveshaft by hand in each gear and in neutral with the back wheels off the ground, I'm not sure what was stuck but it isn't any more. It may have not been all the way out of one gear.