Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Chrishag

Simplicity 6216 help needed

Chrishag

Ok so last weekend I picked up a running 6216 for $30 off of Facebook marketplace. So off to sort out it’s issues.

1. Super slow speed and varidrive not working. 

- I took apart pulley unit and removed from machine. Did this by heating up the sticker and taking off and cutting access panel under varidrive lever. Found both pivot  bearings frozen solid. A little heat from the torch and one came free. I have a new bearing for the other side coming in the mail as we speak. I cleaned and lubed sheeve while it was out of the machine.

2. Ok so the wiring I think is a little messed up. Neutral light only comes on when cranking. I have verified and switch is plugged in and appears to be working as machine must be in neutral to start. 

3. Headlight switch and ammeter are not working. Lights work when direct line run to the battery. This lead me to how do I get to the wiring? My steering wheel is the later model with the bolt through the side of the wheel. I did remove that but could not get wheel to budge.  Also I have three wire connection hanging down between the dash and motor on left side. What are these for? I can post pictures in the morning.

4. Pto safety switch is bypassed. Looks like part is no longer available. I would like to fix this issue if anyone has an idea where I can source the switch from.

Chrishag

Here is a picture of the three loose leads That I imagine need to be hooked up somewhere. I’m assuming this could be the reason my headlight switch is nonfunctional along with possibly my PTO and neutral lights.

3988879B-DD48-4D45-B3F2-E1DB68AF8C6E.jpeg

ShaunE

I've had two of these throughout many years & if I remember correctly, the neutral & PTO light only coming on while cranking is normal.

https://www.simplicitymfg.com/na/en_us/support.html

Go here & enter the model number off the foil tag on the tractor frame in the upper right hand corner.  The number will start 169xxx  You should be able to download a parts & owners manual.  Possibly an electrical diagram.  The parts manual will show the pigtail harness to connect to the headlights.

I luckily never had an issue with the variable drive.  Super nice tractors.

Chrishag

Not that the headlights really matter I could always run a new switch and wire to power them. I would like to get the Ammeter working. Just a personal pet peeve of mine if it’s there I like it to work even if it’s not that useful. Just getting the steering wheel off is not going well don’t want to break anything.

OK I figured those two lights for neutral and PTO would light up anytime you are a neutral or the PTO was disengaged 

Also have one question about the mower deck please look at the attached picture one spindle is higher than the other for some reason was wondering if that is normal please disregard the idiler next to it I know that is bad and I need to order a replacement as the bearings have popped out of it.  Didn’t want to get too far into this project if the deck was going to be unusable 

6CD485B3-1BAA-412F-BE38-B088B8E6E4D7.jpeg

ACT816

Here's a link to the parts diagram from SEPW: https://www.sepw.com/parts-lookup?aribrand=SMP#/Simplicity/1690709_-_48"_Mower_Deck/42"_%26_48"_Clutch_%26_Support_Group/1690709/011400531

This is for the 42/48" deck, not sure which you have.  I have a picture of my old deck if it would help you.  If I remember correctly (and kind of looks that way from my old pics) the pulley on the left is slightly higher than the others as it's the one that connects to the pulley off the bottom of the double pulley at the bottom of the engine.  BTW, I've had the bolt loosen up for this double pulley and it causes the deck to NOT stay disengaged, just something to check since you are into it.   

Agree with others, great little tractor! 

CIMG0052-1200.jpg

Chrishag
6 hours ago, BLT said:

You have a 12V 3A DC charging system and 12V 55W headlight circuit coming out of engine.

These are the leads hanging down? 

Chrishag

Iso I took a look at the three wires hanging down from the dash on the  right side of the motor.

One wire has 12 volts when key is turned on does not matter if I flip the light switch or anything else. 

One other wire probes to ground. And the other wire has no voltage does not go to ground.

I really Need to figure out how to get the steering wheel off so I can get to the back of the dash. Looking up inside I can see two wires connected to what I assume is the PTO light hanging unconnected. I’m wondering if two of the connectors on the side of the unit need to be plugged into those.   I’m wondering if the previous owner unplugged them when they bypassed the PTO safety switch which I’m looking to get working also if I can locate a replacement switch. For now I’d be happy if the light was on all the time at least I know would be plugged in correctly.I’ll be honest reading electrical diagrams not my skill set